Friday, February 1, 2008

Circles

So I've been thinking this afternoon about circles.
We all know of a few well-known circles.

The circle of life, circles of friendship, the circle/cycle of pride. But I've been thinking of another more prevalent circle (in my household at least).

THE CIRCLE OF HOUSEWORK
By: Kris Merriman, mommy extraordinaire
I choose to think of it as homework, this job that's never done.
Even when life gets busy and we're crazy on the run.
I dust, sweep, and mop and oh, I pick up toys,
I clean so much I sometimes miss my life's little joys.
The house is never clean enough for my husband dear,
but to get it "Andrew clean", I think it'd take a year!
My favorite part of housework is finding special treats.
Like the spot on my cushion or the snack someone forgot to eat.
I love getting to do the same dishes every day,
I find joy in discovering the milk that's turned to clay.
Oh, my life is so exciting, it's always something new.
Like opening the dryer to find all the white clothes blue.
A dustpan and broom are the tools of my trade,
If I only knew how to use them, then my life would be made!
This messy house, this messy house, oh, woe is me.
A shining example of cleanliness I'm sure it will never be.
My house doesn't look good, but I don't really care,
because my kids are calling, and I will soon be there.
I choose to focus on the important things in life,
Like being a good mommy and the world's best-looking wife!
Yeah, right, you all say in loud voices oh so clear.
But ask my man, he'll tell you, if I am standing near.
I love the circle of housework that goes round in my home.
There's nothing better than picking gum out of the carpet with a comb.
But let us all rejoice, great mommys that we are.
For one day, there will be only us to dirty the car.
One day these little kiddos will be raised and gone.
And then who will we all have to blame our messes on?

4 comments:

Kenningtons said...

HA!! I love it!! Your poem is so funny. I even learned something for the future-use a comb to get gum off the carpet. Who woulda thought?! You are a very talented writer!!

Rubalcavas said...

That was too cute...and so true!

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it.
A chip off the old block you might say.
The poetry I understand and applaude and how wise you are to have figured out at a relatively young age that...housework will ALWAYS be with us...but our children will grow up and way too soon be gone.
Love you more than you'll ever know.
Mom

The Hermyzoo! said...

That was awesome, you are quite the writer. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of enjoying momhood in all moments we endure. I love seeing how you are doing.
Tanya