Here are a few of my favorite finds:
These hats were FREE! I collect Disney Rewards points, and got these for the kids for no charge, not even for shipping. (By the way, the shirt Frank is wearing was less than $1, and Emma's dress was $3. I made it from pre-fab fabric from Wal-Mart and 1 pkg. of rick-rack trim that was on clearance.)
We considered buying a new trampoline for the kids for Christmas. But, we decided not to and found this one for $40 (enclosure and all) on Craigslist. Good thing too, because 3 days after we got it, the wind blew it down the driveway and the trees shredded the enclosure on the way by. It sucks, but for $40, who can complain?
Our favorite cushy recliner. This thing has a REFRIGERATOR in the arm! It also has heat and massage. We got it when we first got married for $500, regularly priced at $1300. Someone else didn't like the color after they ordered it. Looks fine to me, and even matches our couch!Emma's "Santa" gift this year included a makeup mirror with 20-piece accessory kit and a dressing mirror with garment rack, all with lights and sound. It cost a whopping $7.79 with free shipping. Thanks, Amber, for the heads-up on this one!
So, even though my kids don't have Gymboree and Gap labels hanging in their closet and Andrew and I plan our eating out based on the deals of the day, we get by and have a great time bargain-hunting in the process. Do any of you have great cheapskate stories?
7 comments:
Dang it, I keeping losing my posts on your blog because I forget to type in the word verification at the bottom. STINK!
I have become a huge fan of craiglist. For the sales we have made mostly and also for some good finds on bunkbeds and dressers. I have also fallen in love with FREECYCLE in our area. ANyone that is getting rid of their stuff for free post and I have found some good things and only have to pay minimal gas money to go pick them up. Over the past 3 years our kids have come to know that I will not purchase kids meals when eating out. If we have to go eat out we do so for $8 bucks for our family. I can't see spending $20 for McDonald food and a GAY toy. You had some great finds!
I love bargains! I do the same thing. We have an awesome Target a mile from our house and I know what time of year they put different things on 75% clearance. I buy all their toys in January, Shabby Chic sheets and Bed spreads in March-April, and am always buying clothes for my kids 75% off. I personally love Target clothes! I am a big yardsale shopper. I think it's fun and you can find some great stuff.
It ain't easy... that's why I'm no good at it!
I'm certainly not extravagant, but I don't have the vision for seeing great deals. But, I'm a simple person at heart, and I've found that has saved me ALOT of money.
Happy Hunting!
I don't think you have to be considered cheap to have nice things. I never pay full price for my kids clothes. I always shop at the Foot Hills Mall outlet stores and get great quality clothing for next to nothing. I can pay the same price for Children's Place/Carters/Old Navy clothing on sale as I can get it at Walmart, and it will last so much longer.
There is no reason to buy things that won't last even if they are "cheaper" than something else.
That's my 2 cents. Good luck bargain hunting!
Dana
Our whole family is very "frugal minded" as well. My dad is a professional dumpster diver from way back! If you ever need anything, he has it! I love freecycle- we have a huge member base here in our area. Carolyn is our bargain mamma! She is always looking for good deals, and she is very good at finding them. My dad's favorite place to "shop" is at the hazardous waste area at the dump. They have lots of stuff there that he just fills his garage with. People drop stuff off there: paint, oil, air compressors, and just about any other chemical you could think of and he can get it just by signing his name that he took it home!
VERY impressive!!!
I'm cheap & broke, but not so good at finding the deals. So I don't shop. I can't control myself, if I see it and like it, I buy it. You have much more will power than I do!
Post a Comment