Thursday, February 3, 2011

What RSV Looks Like

Oh, yes. After a very prolonged ER visit, we found out that James has been infected with RSV. Poor baby is a mess, but getting better every day.

It really is a blessing that we have kids with asthma & know which signs spell breathing trouble. The ER staff was glad that we brought him in when we did. Also, since we have all the equipment & a 6 month supply of medication, there was no need to get new prescriptions filled at 8:30 on a Sunday night. Yay for preparation, right?This video was taken a couple of days after the ER visit, so he was WAY worse.

Luckily he seems to be doing a lot better this week, & supposedly isn't contagious anymore. Somehow I don't think I'll be testing out that theory anytime soon. We won't be passing this on to anyone else if we can help it!

The pediatrician says that since James had it, all of the kids did. Awesome. But it is true that it's worst for the very young. Jack has been pretty sick, but nothing like the baby. And the older 2 have no symptoms at all, thank goodness.

So I can check yet another crazy illness off the "yeah, we had that" list

I'm feeling like quite the veteran parent these days!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh....poor baby looks miserable! He sure is lucky to have a Mama and Daddy that know how to take care of him. Jack looks as if he is king of the super-sweet chair at your house!

Hilary said...

Yikes! That's what landed Jayden an ambulance ride and a hospital stay. I'm so glad he's starting to feel better. That's scary stuff.

Hilary said...

Oh, and let me know if you want to borrow my pulse oximeter. I have never tried it on a baby, so I don't know if it would work on such little fingers, but we could try.

Casey said...

Scary! Hope they get better soon!

Kenningtons said...

That's terrible. It's almost too much to bear looking at that poor little face. I hope he gets better soon. Poor little guy!!

Mindi said...

That is just so sad! Poor baby. Heather said you had taken him to the ER. I'm so glad you new the signs to take him in. Sorry you HAVE to know the signs though! I hope mommy and daddy are doing okay too. I'm sure there hasn't been much sleep. Hang in there Kris!

Unknown said...

So sorry that you guys have had the nasty bug at your house. I keep thinking that things will run the course and we can all start getting better soon...hopefully!
Take care.

Shannon Harris said...

That breaks my heart!!! They both look so sad!!! I'm glad he's getting better but I totally know how you feel! Poor baby!
LOVE YOU