Friday, March 20, 2009

Memorable Moments

Sometimes mothering is a totally thankless job. OK, about 95% of the time it's a mundane, frustrating & totally exasperating job. But every once in a while these little munchkins of ours pay us back for all of the poop, puke, & stretch marks, not to mention the yelling, screaming & throwing of objects (me, not them, unfortunately). These are the moments we need to remember.


Like good little doobies, we have scripture study every night with the kids. We have the Scripture Stories series, and I would recommend them to anyone that wants to have scripture study but thinks that their kids are too small. Emma is usually glued to the book, and has each story memorized before we're even done reading. She even wanted to be a Stripling Warrior for Halloween. (Awesome, huh?) Frank, however, stares at the ceiling, plays with the couch pillows, and climbs all over his parents during stripture time. I've never been all that sure that we're getting through to him.

We finished the Book of Mormon a couple of weeks ago and are now starting into the Doctrine & Covenants. We were discussing Joseph Smith & all of the bad things that happened to him when he was the prophet. We then talked about Newel Knight's struggles.


Our conversation went something like this:

Mom: Newel Knight needed a blessing from the prophet to help him know that the church was true & that Satan was trying to get him not to join.

Emma: Like Satan tried to get Joseph Smith not to pray?

Mom: Yep, honey. Joseph & the other men who started the church had to be very strong men. Satan tried very hard to get them not to believe in Jesus. Joseph was a very strong prophet.

And then, totally out of the blue, Frank yelled: Like Nephi!

Yea! My efforts are not totally in vain, he is hearing at least some of it, and the Lord does answer prayers! I can get through the poop, jumping on the couch, and wrestling for toys for at least one more day. If only these crazy little kids could bring it upon themselves to pay us back more often- but I know that's wishful thinking.
Until the next Memorable Moment.....

7 comments:

Luke & Erica said...

I actually saw those books the last time I was at Bookworms, I think I will buy them now. Such a cute story.

Hilary said...

Wow! That's awesome. It feels so good when kids show us that they actually are listening and learning the things we're trying to teach. I love that Emma wants to be a stripling warrior for Halloween. I look forward to seeing that costume.

Dana said...

That's so great! My kids also like watching the DVDs that are the same as the books. Keep up the good work!

Kenningtons said...

That's so sweet!! We have family scripture study every night and I wonder if maybe I need to do something a little more basic. We bought the Book Of Mormon board books and KG LOVES them!!!! I am going to get the books you use! Every little bit helps! I'm excited to read more of your memorable moments series!!

Jason and Amanda said...

We us the same books and it sounds really like our reading too...Reagan loving every minute of it and of course begging to read more and more while Travis destroys whose ever room we end up in. Maybe its just boys....lucky for you though that Frank is listening....it'll be a long time before we'll even know with Travis! Kids are GREAT aren't they?!

Unknown said...

Hang in there and keep up the good work you guys...honestly you NEVER know what they are hearing and how they are listening to what you say.

Shannon Harris said...

How cool!!!!! Darn those kids do listen huh?!?! Good job Kris!