.
Doesn't he look thrilled?
Jack was a little teary-eyed, too.
I have to admit that they're not anywhere near as bad as I thought they'd be.
See? He's wearing them in this pic.
.
I think that the folks at the ASDB thought that the improvement was going to be a lot more drastic than it has been. So, on the one hand, that's good! He was hearing almost everything before. On the other hand, it's depressing that he has to wear these hearing aides when his hearing loss is so mild. Since he got them, we've mostly just noticed him turning his head to sounds or voices that are coming from across the room. It's nice to know that he's hearing everything now, but also comforting to know that he wasn't missing all that much before.
.
Hopefully this will get less hard as time goes on. I'm told that attending the parent support groups & being with other people that deal with this will be helpful, although I still am having a hard time with the idea that my son will be "different" from now on. I'm afraid for him- how he'll be treated by other kids, how he'll be viewed by others, and most of all, that he won't feel "normal" as he grows.
.
But we perservere, and once we get used to this, I'm sure something else will come up. That's life, after all, isn't it?
13 comments:
You have our 100% support. We love Jack for just who he is and will do anything to help you guys. We love you.
Dave and Dana
I am not sure what to say, but you are in my thoughts. I hope all goes well and the Lord comforts you in this trial you are in!
He looks cute with them in. And the early intervention programs will really help. Luke is in one for speaking, and it has been wonderful. I will keep you guys in my prayers! Everything will work out. He will be great!
I think that's every parents fear...that their kids will be "different" and not be treated kindly. I feel for you. Your family and Jack will be in our prayers.
We're glad to hear the hearing loss is mild. We love him no matter what! I know he'll do well. And I definitely agree that we all worry about our kids being "normal"--whatever normal is.
Kris. I have been thinking about you lately and this explains why. I wish I had something to say that would help you. Jack is very blessed to be in a home with such a loving, caring mommy and daddy and great big brother and sister to help him and be his best friends!
Poor little Jack! It's nice that they make hearing aids in clear now. You can hardly see them. We are thinking of you guys and hope that things will go well. We think he is so adorably cute!
That's gotta be hard to deal with as a parent. That's great that he can get early intervention though. I taught first grade and our school had the School for the Deaf and Blind attached to it. There were two little girls who had profound hearing loss in my grade and one was in my class. The girl in my class fit in great. Her hearing loss had been caught very early too and she had been getting early intervention so she was where she was supposed to be developmentally. The kids were interested in her coclear implant and in learning about her hearing loss, sign language, etc., but then they moved on and really treated her the same as everyone else if not better. The hearing aids were just kind of part of her like glasses were part of other kids.
You guys will definitely be in my prayers though. Let me know if I can watch your other kids while you go to appointments, meetings, etc.
Kris, this must be so hard as a parent not to be able to protect our children from unforeseen heartache and sorrow. If it makes you feel any better, EVERYONE can see that Jack is an ANGEL!
My cousin had severe hearing loss and she has cochlear implants. It was caught very early on so you would not even know that she had any hearing loss at all. She is about 5 and I think once she explains her "ears" to other kids in their language, they really just want to play and couldn't care less about it. I'm sure this will be the same with your little man! Not to make light of a very difficult trial, but maybe your little Jack-attack will be able to bless someone else through this experience. No matter what, the little guy is and will forever be a heart-breaker. I mean come on..LOOK AT THAT FACE!!! He's adorable!
It's amazing that they can do something about this so young. I know it's hard but it's such a blessing that it was caught and can get better. He's adorable and you know it will all be okay. Ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers for sure! Too bad you're not in Safford! I'm gonna be there later this week!
Kris I feel for you guys. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this, but don't think that this makes Jack different, it makes him special. He is one tough kid and this will only help to mold him into that great person he will become. With two great parents, it is inevitable. I also know what it is like to have expectations for your kids and then to have the plans change abruptly. We are heading to Tucson on Wednesday to have our new little one checked out. We are praying that everything is "normal" but preparing for the worse. Hang in there.
Kris, I know there's nothing more difficult than seeing your kids go through trials but, having had a few kids with big trials to get through myself, I can tell you that the "different" ones can wow you with how amazing they are. All things work for our good and you will look back and see how much these challenges helped you and your kids learn and grow in compassion and understanding and how close they helped you get to Heavenly Father. I never pray for trials but I am grateful for the strength and comfort that I have felt through every one and I know Heavenly Father will be there for you and Jack too. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Hello,
I talked to Mom and decided to needed to get caught up so I am on the family blog. Sorry, I haven't done much blog hoping lately so I have been out of the loop. So glad to hear that Jack is going well with the hearing aids. Oh, as a mommy I am sure it was tough to hear that he needed them but I am glad it sounds like his hearing loss is minor. Do they know if he will always have it or if it will improve? Wow, you can't even see his hearing aids in most of the photos are they tiny or what?
Glad to see you guys are going wellf or how crazy it has been. We love ya.
Smiles,
Tamara
P.S. can you email me your address so I can mail back the girl clothes you sent for Elle? our email is mowerszoo@gmail.com Thanks. Tam
Post a Comment