Thursday, February 12, 2009

At Least I Tried!

I have long wished that I could be a crafty type of person. I see the cute & creative things that people around me create, and I yearn to be even a little talented in that area. But alas, it's just not meant to be. I remember my sister & mother trying to teach me how to paint cute little crafty plaques & even a nativity that my grandpa made for us. Theirs looked like they'd ordered them from a magazine, while my poor little nativity sheep is continually mistaken for a dog.
.
"Did Jesus have a puppy when he was born, Mom?" Ugh.
.
I have accepted my fate, and don't feel too badly about it anymore. I just accept that I'm much better at putting up tables & chairs than arranging the centerpieces at wedding receptions. That's just me, and I'm OK with me.
.
But there are times when I do try to step out of my dull, bland existence & try to be more colorful & interesting. Usually these instances have something to do with my kids, and this week was no exception. It was Valentine's week at Emma's preschool, and I feel the same way about store-bought Valentines as I do about store-bought Halloween costumes. It's just more fun when you do it yourself!
.
So I consulted one of my very crafty & creative friends for an idea. And I would like to thank Shannon for sending me an easy idea- one that I could complete without too much trouble. It's like she knows how craft-handicapped I am! So this it the inspiration:

Hmmm, I don't have stamps, or fancy paper, or even the ability to make fancy papers match one another. So the thing that really saved me is that I won a card-making kit at Aunt Josylyn's bridal shower. It's filled with color-coordinated paper, pre-cut shapes, and even fancy scrapbooking scissors. Hallelujah!

.

So Emma & I sat down one afternoon & I let her call the shots. At first she wanted them to be very complex & fancy, but then she pared down the steps & just added the stickers. That's OK with me- they were for her friends, after all.

Emma did all of the steps except for cutting out the paper & punching the holes. I was very impressed! Good job, hon. I hope your friends liked them!

7 comments:

Kenningtons said...

So cute and crafty!! I love homemade cards and such because I think it shows thought, effort and love went into making them. Shannon's cards look like they came out of a craft magazine! I'm jealous when people have such an amazing gift......is that a sin??

Dana said...

How funny, we made the same things for the boys' parties. I saw it in a Martha mag last year and did them for Halloween also. I'm with you on store bought Valentine's, I don't care for them either. Good job on yours, they look great and I'm sure Emma loved spending that one on one time with you. Hope she's feeling better.

Luke & Erica said...

Kris, maybe your little one will end up more crafy than you. Way to go on the Valentines, they are so cute. I always make the girls Halloween costumes too, I guess I'll have to start trying to make Valentines as well, considering I have a Valentine baby.

Unknown said...

Way to go...I would like to hope that the "homemade" suckers & valentine cookies that we made when you guys were little were some inspiration.
If nothing else you got to spend some one on one time with Emma making memories!

Casey said...

I am so much like you in that way only I don't get out of my box. I should for my kids sake, but so far I haven't.

Shannon Harris said...

Kris!!!! Those turned out adorable!!!!!!!! I'm a proud mama!

Mindi said...

Great job Kris. They turned out so cute!