Tuesday, January 5, 2010

For Uncle Donny (or, The Rest of the Story)

And now we bring you the conclusion to the "stuffed pink unicorn" drama.

With the Christmas-saving gift card from uncle Donny, we headed across town to the Build-A-Bear store. 2 days after Christmas- maybe not such a good idea! But after waiting for almost an hour, Emma was blissfully happy & Mommy was breathing a sigh of relief.

For those of you that are not well-versed in Build-a-Bear procedure, here's a little rundown.

1. Choose an un-stuffed floppy shell of the animal that you wish to make your friend forever.
2. Step on the pedal to help the nice lady shoot the stuffing into your little buddy's legs, booty, arms, etc. Then she stitches up the backside & you're getting closer.3. Give your new friend an air-bath to get them completely clean.4. Brave the overwhelmingly overstocked costume department where you could spend hundreds of dollars making a stuffed animal look better than you do. I watched parent after parent spend well over $100 on only 1 bear & all of the ridiculous accessories their kids chose to toss in the basket. Yikes!
5. Find the PERFECT outfit amongst all of the sparkle & lace. Emma actually willingly parted with her birthday $ from Grandmother to get this glittery masterpiece.6. Register your new companion on the website, name her Princess & collect her birth certificate before heading home as 1 blissfully happy little girl.So, the end of the story is that even though Santa fell down on the job, Emma was still able to get the unicorn of her dreams. I'm more than happy because this one is reasonably sized, as the one she originally coveted was almost 3 feet long & weighed about 10 pounds. Now they are inseparable & I can actually sleep at night again.
.
Yea for Uncle Donny!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea for Uncle Donny and Yea for Mommy for being willing to fulfill that little girls fondest, bestest, most necessary wish! Sometimes you just got to!
Way to be a great Mom

Kenningtons said...

Making a Build-A-Bear is quite the (WAY FUN!!) ordeal is sounds like. I had no idea what went into making those little stuffed critters or the CRAZY amount of $$$ they cost..YIKES! Totally worth it to see that precious girl's smile.

Kris said...

Jamie-
Actually, the unicorn itself was only $20. Not too bad for what you're getting- the experience + a super special friend.

The clothes, however are AT LEAST $10 apiece. So $30, not too shockingly horrible, I guess.

But then if you add a hat, sunglasses, shoes, backpack, etc, etc, that's when it really adds up. We got out of there really cheaply, and if you don't go too crazy, it could be a fairly reasonable cost. It's just all those parents that refused to say NO- it made my head spin!

Hilary said...

Yay! I love that last picture. She looks like a very satisfied customer. Good Job Uncle Donny whoever you are!

Cheryl said...

Look for the coupons. I've seen $10 off a $20 purchase. My kids each have a dog... I know how it goes with the accesories!

Shawna said...

She looks adorable and soooo happy. Love it!

Your comment on my blog almost made me wet my pants. So funny! It's funny how many people watched that show.

Mindi said...

Yeah for Uncle Donny for sure! I love the picture of her walking down the mall with the box. So cute. What a fun experience for her. That place is crazy though and you are right, I can't believe how much people spend there!! So sorry to have to have the sadness on Christmas, but looks like those tears are forgotten...at least by her;)