Sunday, November 29, 2009

One Size 3, One Size 4

That's an awful title, but it's true (for now, at least!)
.
Our thoroughly enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend has been overshadowed by our first accident-related ER visit as parents. It's been almost 6 years that we've been parents, so I count it as a miracle that we made it this long.
.
Daddy took Jack to Checker Auto early Saturday morning so that everybody else at Grandma's house could keep sleeping. But we were soon awakened by the 2 of them crashing in the front door & into my room. Apparently there had been a little accident involving Jack & a trailer hitch. Specifically, Jack pulled the hitch off the shelf & right onto his big toe. Seriously, YIKES!
.
Off to the ER we go, & we're ushered right back. Our good buddy Myron snapped a few x-rays, & the nice nurses cleaned his little foot up as best they could before the Doc let us know that my poor 1 year old's toe is broken! Cracked, anyways. And that's secondary to the fact that the entire nail & top of his toe was pretty much torn off. The bottom of the toe is crushed beyond recognition. So now his left big toe is about 1/4 inch longer than his right big toe. When Andrew first showed me, I really didn't think that his injuries were that bad. But when Grandma started cleaning off the blood, it became a little more obvious how bad it was. And then when it got really cleaned at the ER, I was shocked at how serious it is.
.
Yes, he has 2 different size feet for now. The swelling is incredible! HOPEFULLY the nail will heal itself. If not, I'm sure his little toe will be cute even without it. The Doc thinks there's a good chance it will fall off & never grow back. Poor baby.
.
WARNING: BLOODY PIC AHEAD!
.
YIKES!
Hmmm, it actually looks better in this pic than in real life.

I just want my Daddy.

All better now.
He was walking on it within 20 minutes of getting back to Grandma's. He's a little limpy, but he's really not even acting like he's injured! (Except when I have to change the dressing, that is!)
Another day, another disaster, right?

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Poor little guy! I can't imagine, I cry in pain just when I stub my toe.

Rubalcavas said...

Poor baby! That makes me hurt just looking at it!

Mindi said...

How scary! I'm glad you got him right in and he is doing well. I bet daddy needed that time snuggling with him.

Darin and Kerri Elam said...

Poor baby! I am always amazed at how tough they are though, and how little a big injury slows them down!

Unknown said...

Poor Jack...it hurts to just THINK about it!
Good thing that kids heal and get along so much better than us old folks...I'd be in bed with my foot up and a bell to ring for ROOM SERVICE!
Take good care of him!

Shawna said...

Poor little guy. That is so sad.
He looks like a little trooper in the photos.

Kids are amazing!

Kenningtons said...

Oh my!! That looks TERRIBLE! And to think the pic actually dolls up the real deal....my, it must have been a bad accident! I'm glad he's back to walking on it without much pain. Poor Jack!

p.s. Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog!

Ashlie said...

Yikes!

Hilary said...

Poor boy! That looks awful. I showed Greg and he couldn't believe how tough he was walking around on it at church.

The Hermyzoo! said...

Ah that poor little guy! That picture is horrible. How's he handling the pain and the nail being gone?

Anonymous said...

So sad. That picture is horrible! I hope he's doing better.