Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What did YOU do today?

If someone had asked me that question yesterday evening, I would've said "I helped butcher a deer!"

And if you asked me that question tonight, I would say "I took that butchered deer meat & made it into venison sausage."
Specifically, maple breakfast sausage, italian sausage, & chorizo/taco meat.

Don't you wish YOUR father-in-law would drop by for 5 minutes & leave THIS hanging on your kid's swingset?
Butchering a deer on the trunk of Andy's Geo. Classy.
Aren't you proud of me for not gagging?
Last year we took Andy's deer meat & made it into jerky. (Deer meat is so gamey that you can't really use it unless you mix it with something.) So this time we decided to turn it into something that we could/would actually use for food storage. And it was so easy! We mixed it with pork & seasoned the heck out of it. I'm excited to taste it after it cures a bit.


Just another adventure in our quest to be modern day pioneers.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow. I am impressed. I definitely wouldn't have attempted that. You're awesome. I would have gagged for sure. How do you know how to do all of this stuff anyway?

And that carcass hanging from the swingset reminded me... One year my dad went elk hunting on the same weekend as one of my high school dances. He got home while I was getting ready and by the time my date arrived to get me there was a dead elk hanging from a tree in our front yard and my dad was sitting in our living room cleaning his guns. So embarassing! But the guy wasn't a keeper anyway, so it was worth it for the great story I guess.

Kenningtons said...

Um, wow! You really are an amazing woman! NO WAY would I get anywhere near a dead deer (or any dead animal for that matter) and you turned that beast into food storage! WHAT???!! I can't get over how much you know how to do...!!!!! You know how to make jerky AND sausage???!!!! WHAT???!!! I'm not surprised; this is Kris we are talking about! I'm seriously so amazed.

Amy Allred said...

Ummmm, ya. Your a lot nicer and braver than me! I have watched Scott do this many times but never felt the urge to even think about helping! Let me know how the sausage turns out!