Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Garden, Garden, & More Garden

I never knew how satisfying it could be to grow your own food. Yes, we've had a garden before, but this year is special. We're literally overflowing with bounty & have some different produce that makes it exciting to go out & pick every day.
.
We've got bell peppers, jalapenos, sugar snap peas, green beans, 3 types of squash, okra, eggplant, green onions, radishes, carrots, tomatoes (that have done lousy this year), strawberries, 2 types of cucumbers, a whole bed of lettuces & collard greens, canteloupe, and oh, yeah, WATERMELONS!!!

(Please excuse how scary I look. We had just gotten out of the pool.)


We have been waiting to pick this thing for weeks, and oh, was it sweet when Daddy said that we could finally try it out. It was literally the best watermelon I've ever had, and not just because I grew it. It was really good!

Seriously, this is 1 DAY of picking. Anybody need produce?

Oh yeah, we have pumpkins too! Luckily these plants are still going crazy putting off fruit, so we're going to have pumpkins from our own garden for Halloween this year! Fun!

9 comments:

Kenningtons said...

I'm so jealous and at the same time my mouth is WATERING for some of that yummy stuff!!! You will have to share your secret for keeping pesky critters away long enough to let your fruits and veggies grow. After reading your post I am DYING to grow a garden (as if it's as easy as you make it seem...)! For now, herbs in a flower pot on my counter will have to do.

Rubalcavas said...

That is so cool! I've always wanted to grow a garden. How exciting for you guys!

Ashlie said...

Nice work! That reminds me too. I need to go check on my watermelons. Went on vacation and forgot about them. Oops.

Mindi said...

Now that is one giant watermelon! You do need to start a vegetable stand. Great job!!

Unknown said...

So...what exactly do you do with ripe pumpkins in July? Just wondering. Glad that they are still putting on and you'll have plenty for the neighborhood in October.
Way to hang in there and finally get a garden to produce. I've given up on mine again this year. I got onions early on and a few tomatoes, but everything else is burned up by this time.
Love you,

Hilary said...

Okay, I need you to teach me how you guys do that so successfully. If you're serious, I would sure love some produce! ;)

Sarah and Chris said...

Wow... Kris, your garden is amazing! I am so jealous of you and can't wait to have one of my own some day but it is hard to imagine that it would be anything like yours!

Andi said...

Inspiring! Really Kris!

Shannon Harris said...

How in the world do you do that?!?!?! I can't even grow a stinkin flower! You're amazing my friend!