Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What Makes a "Vacation"?

After this last week, I'm not exactly sure what a "vacation" is. I always thought that it was time away, preferably in a cool location, with nothing to do but play & visit with family. This last week had all of those ingredients, but I'm not ashamed to say that I will NEVER AGAIN attempt this type of "vacation." Why, you ask? Mostly because I did it all by myself. 6 days, 3 kids, camping in the mountains 5 1/2 hours from home, family reunion, 4th of July, all by myself. Whew!
.
One of my sisters suggested that I title this post "10 Reasons Not to be a Single Mom." I was going to collaborate with my sister Amy, who was also there with 3 kids & no husband. I thought about it, but I came up with about 32 reasons in about 2 minutes, so I decided that it just wasn't really do-able to whittle it down to only 10. Instead, I decided to list the wonderful things about being a mom on "vacation" with 3 crazy munchkins.
.
1. Lots of snuggle time, since Jack wanted NO ONE except Mommy to hold him.
2. I like to ask my kids at the end of every day what their favorite thing they did that day was. Frank's answer every day was "Playing with Rusten." These 2 are inseparable partners in crime.3. Are there even words? 4. Emma's favorite part of every day: Riding in Uncle Jason's Ranger or...mooching quad rides from anyone that had a 4-wheeler. This particular ride was courtesy of Uncle Jim. Emma is back there behind him somewhere. 5. Watching Jack fall asleep in the swing, pushed by whichever cousin or sibling happened to be running by.6. And then there's this. Granted, some of these on his face were put there with the help of Uncle Tanner.
But not these ones! This is what happens when you turn your back on this little troublemaker.
And this is what happens when you try to pick up the mess & take away the now-empty canister of baby treats. Life is hard when you're only 9 months old.
7. Since Mommy was otherwise occupied with Jack, the other kiddos got lots of snuggles from Nana...
and Poppa.
8. There's nothing like clean babies & a warm place to snuggle down for the night. [A BIG thank you to Nana & Poppa for letting us stay in their motorhome.]
9. I get all 3 of these beautiful babies to myself!
10. Tons of fun at the Round Valley 4th of July parade. (Jack also had a super cute 4th of July t-shirt, made by the aunties, but pooped all over it about 30 seconds after I put it on him. Oh, well. He's still adorable.)11. What did I say about being adorable?


So now that we're home, the bags are unpacked, the mountains of laundry are folded & put away, & our fingernails are no longer coated in black mountain dirt, I say Hooray for vacations! Bring it on! With the hubby next time, of course.

9 comments:

Dana said...

Those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I hope Andy was a little sad that he missed it. We missed him.

Mindi said...

You are very brave Kris. Even though it was a lot of work being single mom, it sure looked like everyone had a lot of fun!!

Casey said...

I have been thinking that Labor Day weekend "family reunion" I might be on my own, but I am not sure I want to attempt it either. Ecspecially without the RV, I don't want to attempt driving that thing up there.

Unknown said...

I hope that the little bit of help that we tried to give made things a "little" easier for you. It was so much fun to watch the kids play together and get to know each other better.
Thanks for making the effort.
We missed you Andy.

Adam and Samantha said...

Wow! You are very brave! But I'm sure it was all worth it! They looked like they had tons of fun!

Seth And Josylyn Larson said...

Too much fun! You're a stronger Mom than me. I don't have kids but I definately wouldn't want to take my two dogs by my self. It was fun having you there! Seth and I are very happy that you came! He just misses the old Frank that would snuggle with him all the time. Hehe.

Rubalcavas said...

You are a brave woman!Camping by myself with 3 kids sounds like a nightmare rather than a vacation to me!

Kenningtons said...

I'm dying that Jack tried to eat the whole bottle of baby treats at once. Silly mister!!! You are a BRAVE BRAVE woman. 1) Camping; 2) Without a husband; 3) With three munchkins!!! I'm glad you had a good time. Emma's dirty face in that picture is priceless!

Miranda said...

You are so right. Being a single mom is hard and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! LOL Looks like you had alot of fun.