Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kindergarten Rocks!

Apparently everything about kindergarten is awesome. The playground, the toys, the books, the kids, and most especially, the teacher. I knew that Emma had a great teacher, but after 2 days of seeing her interact with the kids, I am dying of anticipation for this school year. It's going to be so great!
.
After I nudged her awake yesterday morning, she rolled over with squinty, tired eyes. But it took less than 1 second for her eyeballs to fly open. She squealed, jumped out of bed & raced past me to the bathroom to get ready. This kid was READY to go!
.
[A side note: I bought Emma 3 new school outfits. I purposefully went to out-of-the-way stores so that she wouldn't match anyone else, and nobody would be able to say "Oh, they got that outfit at Target." So what does she do? She chooses the 1 outfit that I picked up off a clearance pile at Wal-Mart. I don't only shop at Wal-Mart, I promise! I usually try to avoid it if I can, actually. But somehow we ended up with an outfit & a backpack from Wally-world this year. Oh, well, she's happy, right?}

So after the requisite "first day of school" photos, and 1 of the hair, we were off.

A little photo at the school & she was running for the playground to meet her teacher. She looks so small! The AWESOME teacher, Mrs. Madigan. Oddly enough, we bought our new car from her husband a few weeks ago, so we got the scoop early that we'd be in her class. Lucky us!Poor Frank is so ready to start school. He ran right out there & joined in with the big kids. It almost broke my heart to bring him home with me. Preschool next year buddy, I promise!

Mrs. Madigan was introducing Emma to some other kids when we left. Oh, my baby is so big! Actually, considering how much older she is than most of these kids, I was amazed at how small she was compared to them. Why am I amazed? I really should be used to it by now.

And after 3 hours of the most anticipated school day ever, she was done. Hmm, what was all the excitement about? When I asked her how school went, she said, OK. And when I tried to drag more info out of her, she just told me that it was fine. FINE??? How old is this kid? A little later she did manage to loosen up & gush about how much she loved everything. Thank goodness, I was beginning to think she didn't like it!

I'm just trying to remind myself that she's only going to be this excited for school for a while. (I'm imagining dragging her out of bed by her hair to get her to go to high school.)

So that's it! We're off & running and I can't wait to see what happens next.

8 comments:

Kenningtons said...

She is happy and ADORABLE in that first picture you posted. Adorable in every picture but the first one says it all. Even if she didn't have an original outfit, she certainly did have the most original AMAZING hair. I'll be she is a trend setter with all those cute hair-do's!! Each day you will see the girls in her class sporting the do she debut the previous day!!

Dana said...

I'm with you on the "FINE" thing. It kills me when Adam tells me school was "good". He spends 7 hours away from me and all he can tell me is that is was "good". I have to pry any little detail from him.
She looks so sweet. Will she be riding the bus at all or will you pick her up everyday?

Mindi said...

How exciting! Mrs. M is such a great teacher. She definitely has a way with those little ones that captivates them. I love hearing about your morning and day with her. She is so funny.

Casey said...

So Great! Glad she enjoyed it so much. Reminded me a bit of Caelin starting kindergarten.

Unknown said...

I love the last picture...Daddy and Emma and Frank bringing up the rear...he'd better get used to that!
So glad that Emma is happy and excited about kindergarten. She'll do great, I know.
Just 4 weeks until the rest of the kids start here in Thatcher/Safford. We will have 5 of the 11 grandkids in school this year...yikes!

Hilary said...

She is so adorable! I love her enthusiasm. She looked perfect for her first day. There is no shame in shopping at Walmart either. They've got good, inexpensive stuff. I shop there all the time!

And, Frank has only missed one day of Joy School if you still want in... No pressure, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

Jason and Amanda said...

You go Emma! Too fun--Kindergarten is "THE BEST!". Glad she and you are loving it!

Shannon Harris said...

School?!?!?! Already?!?!?!? Wow!!! How exciting though!!! What a big girl!!!