Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mountain Memories

(4 generations of Larsons)
For Memorial Day this year, my father's family had a little reunion at our family cabin on Mt. Graham near Safford. Some of my very best childhood memories were made at this cabin, and I really want my kids to have the same experiences that I did. We had family travel from as far away as Idaho, and all of the grandkids & great-grandkids had an amazing time catching up & making new friendships.
The kids participated in all of the essential mountain activities:

Bug catching (a big thanks to cousin Reagan for teaching my kids that it's OK to touch the creepy-crawlies. Yuck!)

Making S'mores. I LOVE this picture.Hikes to Cow Canyon. Emma loved hearing Grand-Papa tell stories about how his family really did have cows & pigs here when he was young.And generally just getting REALLY, REALLY dirty. Looking at this face, I can't imagine that my kids were the cleanest kids up there, like Dana told me.And we also engaged in some new mountain experiences:
Lookin' gorgeous in our "princess hair." (Doesn't every mother wish her daughter had one of these beautiful wigs?)

I don't know what posessed Miranda to pack this thing all the way from Utah, but it was the largest & most fun pinata these kids had ever seen.

Thanks to Emilee for sharing her bounty with Frank. These 2 literally ate an entire Wal-Mart bag full of candy.

And thanks to Nana for treating Jack to his very first Sugar Daddy.
The bubble machine was a hit (for about 10 minutes, then they got bored.)
Oh, yeah. I was there, too! (Daddy had to stay home & work.)

And I don't remember 1 time in my youth that I didn't fall asleep just as soon as we hit the road home. It's always been a joke in our family that the mountain air makes you sleepy. What do you think?
And as we drove into the Tucson valley, this is the sight that greeted us. It's great to go visit family, but oh, it's so great to come home.


6 comments:

Mindi said...

I love the pictures Kris! This makes me so home sick. I loved camping when I was a kid and I swear we have only taken our kids once...not since we've been to Arizona though. What a great way to spend the Memorial Day weekend!

Hilary said...

I love that someone would pack a gigantic pinata all the way from UT. That is awesome! Also, I love the picture of your kids sleeping in the car. They look completely exhausted. I need to give my kids a nice dose of mountain air!

Shannon Harris said...

There is NOTHING like an Az sunset!! It looks like you guys had so much fun!! I miss family and camping and all that stuff I took for granted as a kid! Your pics made me all nostalgic!

Unknown said...

We DID have a good time. The kids did what kids to best and managed to really get dirty!
Thanks for making the effort to come over and stay for all the fun!
Missed you Andy.

Cara said...

How fun! I have lots of fond memories of that cabin too. It is a great place. And its so fun to know you're kids are making some of the same fun memories you have.

Casey said...

So fun! My kids love our yearly trip to the mountain over Labor Day weekend. We are actually thinking of taking an extra one this year around the 4th of July.