Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Baby Info

Ok, Ok, let me clarify. No one is out of the loop. Or rather, EVERYONE is out of the loop. No one should feel bad, or that they missed something really important.
We are currently 20 1/2 weeks along, and just spilled the beans this weekend.
.
Just for the record, we're due on October 13, and it's a boy!
.
I had more than one reason for not yelling "I'm pregnant!" to the world months ago. I think I'll share a few because the kids are in bed and I don't have anything else to do except tonight's dinner dishes. I'd like to postpone that for as long as possible.
.
1. I overheard a snide comment made behind my back a few months ago that I would probably wait to get pregnant until I could be pregnant all by myself. This is not so far off base, but still hurt my feelings. When I had Emma, my sister Dana was due on the same day as me with her 2nd son. When I was pregnant with Frank, there were 17, count 'em, 17 women in my ward who were due just within 6 weeks of his due date. This time, both of my sisters and 1 of my sisters-in-law were expecting when we found out we were too. Also, there are already 15 women in my ward who've 'fessed up to being preggers and due through October. It's hard to feel special when literally almost everyone you know is pregnant at the same time as you. What's a girl to do when she's always one of the crowd? Keep it to herself, I guess.
.
2. I think the whole conversation in relation to the announcement of a pregnancy is kind of weird. I always feel like I'm saying to people "Yea, everyone be happy for me, NOW!" I'd rather just get chubby and have people ask me later on. It seems to take the pressure off when they're more surprised than anything.
.
3. I didn't want to listen to 9 months of "When's the baby coming, Mom?" 5 months from now is far enough away when you've got 2 little rugrats pulling up your shirt every 10 minutes and asking "Is the baby kicking?"
.
4. When you get pregnant, you're no longer just a woman. You're a PREGNANT woman, and everyone around you seems to forget that you have a personality that does in fact extend beyond your uterus. You say "I'm expecting", and suddenly you go from conversations about your child's school, immigration issues, and the latest shocker on Grey's Anatomy to weight gain, morning sickness, and cervix dialation. I rather enjoy being an intelligent, contributing member of society, and that doesn't change just because I'm gonna get fat for a few months.
.
5. I thoroughly enjoy being able to stun people when they find out how far along I am. I did get pretty chubby with Emma, but with Frank and this one, they seem to hide down in my intestines somewhere. I just stopped wearing my regular jeans last week, and it's lots of fun to have people say "You're pregnant? Wait, you're HOW PREGNANT?" That's my selfish and prideful streak coming through!
.
6. 40 weeks is a long time to count even for the pregnant lady. It just makes the whole ordeal go by that much faster when you're not having to remember that you're only 11 1/2, or 16, or 8 weeks along about 10 times a day for everyone else's benefit.
.
7. It's just lots of fun to keep this particular secret!
.
Well, there you have it. I am selfish and rude for not telling people sooner. But look at it this way. Now you only have to wait 5 months for pics of my adorable kid, instead of 8 months if I'd have announced it when most people do. Smart of me, huh?

10 comments:

Kenningtons said...

WOW! You do a really good job keeping secrets. Congratulations!!! By the way, how are you feeling? JOKING!! What impresses me is that you are still incredibly intelligent all the while being pregnant! Can't wait to see pics of your new little lovely.

Shawna said...

I think that's it's you who prego, you're the one going through it, it's exciting, personal and you can announce it whenever you want. You go girl!
Your ward sounds like my ward. We had 30 expectant mothers on our pregnant list. It hasn't really gone down either. As soon a few mom's have their babies another couple get added to the list. It's crazy here. Babies are popping out like pop corn in a microwave! Just for making that comment I'm going to get called to nursery in a year to deal with all these munchkins! LOL!

Adam and Samantha said...

Yeah, I'm glad someone else waits to tell people!! I totally agree with everything you siad, that's why we waited until 18 weeks, the best is when people ask other people if your pregnant because they don't want to ask you in case your "just getting fat". Congrats!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason and Amanda said...

Congrats on the new baby boy! Three sounds like a fun number and we already know October 13th is a great day!
Talk to you soon!
Amanda

Andi said...

I think you should tell when you want to tell... With Paige I waited until 20 weeks (I weighed less then and hid it easily) because I was worried about miscarriage. I wouldn't of been able to handle the drama of everyone knowing, then having a miscarriage. From my experience, that's easier to deal with privately.

But, now if I got pregnant I'm afraid I would have to announce at like 4 weeks or something... ;)

Adam and Samantha said...

Our due date is Oct. 12th...maybe me and your husband can car pool to the hospital...jk_Adam

Cheryl said...

Congrats Kris! Wow, on keeping it a secret for so long. I stink at keeping secrets. :) I knew when my friend who just had her baby Friday was 2 weeks pregnant. Granted she had invetro. I loved your reasons.

Rubalcavas said...

Congratulations! You will have your hands full, but it will be worth it!

Jennifer Bundy said...

Congrats Kris and Andrew! It's fun to see families keep growing! We won't be able to recognize all the new faces when we are finally able to get down that way!