Sunday, April 27, 2008

What, a Temple? Where you Say?

I'm still a little bit in shock! Who would think that there would actually be a temple of God in the little old Gila Valley. I know about the prophecies when Pima was first founded. "Place the town on the north side of the river and you'll get a temple. South, and no dice." Well, that may be a little paraphrased. Anyway, the town of Pima is south of the river, and you guessed it, no temple. No one was really surprised when the last temple went to Snowflake instead of the Gila Valley. I honestly thought that the prophecy was still in effect. I guess the Lord has different plans, though. A temple in my hometown. Who woulda thunk?
.
When I told Emma, her first response was "Wow, does that mean that I can get married in Safford in the temple now?"
My daughter is going to be able to be MARRIED in my hometown someday if she chooses. Like I said, I'm still in shock, and anyone that's been to the Gila Valley knows why. Lots of members, lots of cotton farms and prisons, but not much else. Honestly, their big claim to fame is the Wal-Mart Supercenter and the teeny little Home Depot that was just built last year.
.
Something that didn't even register until last night was that I'll be able to take my kids into the temple during the open house and show them everything! Emma will probably be around 6 by then, so she'll get to learn so much. I am so EXCITED for that! Also, we'll go the one in Gilbert, too. But, I'm going to do everything I can to get her to the groundbreaking and other occasions when the prophet will be there. This is going to be amazing.
.
Just one more thought. ANDREW AND I CAN GO TO THE TEMPLE WHENEVER WE WANT BECAUSE WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BABYSITTER! Just think, drive an hour or so, drop off the kids at one of the grandparents and cruise on over to the temple for a session. Does it get any easier than that? Yea!

2 comments:

Kenningtons said...

Mike and I said the same thing about babysitters!!!! I am so excited about this temple. Oh, I miss Safford! I too will do everything in my power to be at the ground breaking! At least I will be back in the States by then (I hope!!).

Rubalcavas said...

That is so exciting! I can't wait to see it...