Thursday, April 24, 2008

Culinary Success!

I am not a great cook. In fact, I'm actually rather bad at the culinary arts. I usually manage to pacify the tummy-beasts, but don't hardly ever succeed in wowing anyone except Emma, who thinks that pretty much any meal I make is "the best thing she's ever eaten."
Whenever I do try anything out of the ordinary, I usually am met with failure and a deepened sense of what a loser I am in the kitchen. My poor husband (who is an outstanding chef, by the way) tries to encourage me, and even says that a couple of things I make almost rival his mother's cooking. And let me tell you, that's something. However, I know deep down that he's mostly just trying to boost my self-esteem to keep me from quitting my duties of family slop-slinger forever.

Tonight, however, I am proud to say that I took a giant leap forward in the journey toward becoming a reasonably talented cook.
I made rolls.
And not just any rolls, but twice-risen, light, fluffy and moist rolls that you can eat plain because they are SO GOOD! They taste like Thanksgiving.
I am very proud of myself, and spent the better part of 20 minutes on the phone telling Andrew what he was missing at dinner tonight. He tried to be positive and encouraging, but I could tell that he didn't really believe that I could actually do this. I've tried to make rolls before and every single time they've come out AWFUL! I can't wait for him to come home and eat about 8 of them.
I made good rolls!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you are one up on me...I can't even get the frozen Rhodes rolls to come out right! Congratulations and good luck as you expand your efforts.
I've always said that I "wasted" my best cooking years on kids that didn't care one way or the other, maybe you've learned how to make that work.
Love to all,
Mom

Rachel said...

yum. The rolls sound much better than the lasagna mess. It probably took the same amount of time :)

Ashlie said...

Can I have some?

The Hermyzoo! said...

Great job! That's one receipe I always seem to mess up on.