I know some parents that do absolutely everything for their kids. They wipe their noses, get them any food or snack they want, clean up every mess the kid makes, and so on. I, however, am from the old school. I believe that if you want the kid to be able to take care of themself someday, you have to give them the opportunity to learn how to do things on their own. Hey, you're not breaking any child labor laws by teaching your kid to clean up after himself!
I also believe in starting them VERY young.
This was illustrated very well last night when Frank and Emma were fighting over a bowl of popcorn that, of course, ended up all over my carpet. So, they got to learn how to use the Dustbuster! The great thing about this age is that they still cleaning is fun!
4 comments:
LOVE IT!!! As far as old school parenting is concerned, I'm right there with you!!!! If I don't teach Girlfriend to clean nobody will. One of the first purchases I will make back in the States is a Dustbuster!!!
This is hilarious because this is exactly what Theron was doing tonight. He cut up paper into the tiny littlest pieces I have ever seen and I was so frustrated thinking "I do not what to clean this up, who cuts paper that little anyways"? I gave him the dust buster and let him go at it. Not only did he clean up his paper but he did the whole family room, his bathroom, his bedroom and Ben's closet. Not sure if all those rooms needed it but he was so happy doing it and had so much fun!
I am with you at some point they have to learn how to do it for themselves why not start young. I was accused the other day of making my child a little too independent, if that is at all possible. I was complaining that they wouldn't let me help them with something. It could be worse that is what I keep telling myself.
Way to go MOM!
Post a Comment