Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stretching Myself

My time & patience have been stretched to the limit these past few months. For a number of reasons, I often feel like I have nothing left to give & nowhere to turn for rejuvination.
.
However, I have pushed myself quite a bit lately to extend service where I thought I just couldn't. It's been really easy for those I love, a lot harder for some that I sometimes struggle to show compassion & caring for. Sometimes I feel renewed & invigorated, sometimes it's more of a stretch to find the good feelings.
.
I was interested when I saw THIS POST on one of my favorite blogs. I considered it for a moment & then dismissed the idea- I'm too busy, too pregnant, too involved already, right? And so I moved on.
.
But then today I saw an elderly woman discreetly offer a small amount to the cashier to help pay for the obviously struggling young family in line in front of us. I don't know why it touched me so, but it almost brought me to tears right there in the grocery store. Maybe because I saw her counting out change to pay for her own bill, maybe because that young family looked a lot like mine not so long ago. Whatever the reason, it was a moment of epiphany.
.
I have a feeling that someone is trying to tell me something! No more feeling sorry for myself & wallowing in all of my "busyness." I need to stretch myself even more. I hope it won't hurt!
.
So I proclaim this on the blog, hoping that it will "encourage" me to stick to my commitment.
I'm going to do 31 acts of service in honor of my 31st b-day next month.
.
I'm sure that I won't be buying gift cards & leaving cash on people's cars, but I hope to do 31 things to brighten someone's day. Hopefully it'll become a habit that will help me feel renewed when it often feels that I'm drained to my last drop. And hey, maybe it'll help me forget how freakin' old I'm getting!

9 comments:

kellie said...

Just being Kris should count for a good chunk of it, you are a blessing to those who know you !
I would have gotten the lump in my throat, too. It takes those lean times that we all had to appreciate what we have now, but always remembering that many are back where we were...
You can do it lady!
And seriously, you are only turning 31...geez...

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Hi there, Kris! My friend Wendy sent me a link to your blog post about your 31 acts of service for your 31st Birthday! Yay for you! I'm so excited and I know you'll have the most wonderful time doing this! You are so busy, huh? But the Lord will provide a way and you'll feel younger than ever, I just know it! I think I'll have to add a "random act of kindness birthday counter" to my blog...let me know when you post again. I want to see how it goes! Best of Luck!

MaryAnn said...

I loved this post! YOu don't even know me probably, but I am one of Amy's friends in 7th ward....married to Reed Larson. I love your blog. You are a great writer! I have had the same problem lately, and needed to read this. Only problem is I have a decade on you, and that would mean MORE service! UGH! :) Thanks for the inspiration.
-MaryAnn

Adam and Samantha said...

Holy cow...31...old lady_A

Casey said...

Good Luck! I am rootin' for you! It makes me want to do more and be more. Thanks for the insight. Keep us posted on how you do.

Unknown said...

Thanks for shining a light on something that so many of us "consider" and then toss aside. I gave a talk at girls camp one year on service and reminded the girls that sometimes it's a simple as holding the door for the person behind you. We ALL need to get outside of ourselves and look around at those who have less, are less and need a little of what we have to offer.
My 2 cents worth.

Kenningtons said...

What a wonderful idea. I NEEDED this exact post today as I have been feeling like the world is crashing in around me with no idea how to save myself. What I really need is to serve and stop thinking only of myself!!! Thanks Kris!!!

Mindi said...

I've been out of town so this is my first chance to read about what has been going on with you. Congratulations on baby #4!! Good luck on your 31 acts of service too. I really think you probably do this already without even knowing. Kellie is right, you are definitely a blessing to those who know you.

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

I loved reading this post and think is an amazing idea. I hope you keep a journal of the acts and the feelings you feel with each. I would love to hear about. Congrats, I the baby... we are so excited for you guys....stinker, you should have told us the good news while we were in AZ we could have celebrated with supper or dessert or something. :):) How are you doing, feeling?

Smiles, Tam