Sunday, November 8, 2009

Emma Has Cooties! (Or, We are Now a Statistic)

Yep, it's happened to us. As germ-o-phobic as I've been, as hard as I fought to get all my kids vaccinated, as anti-social as we've managed to be, and even using over 3 containers of hand sanitizer in 2 weeks, our house has been stricken by the dreaded S-illness. We think. Apparently, even if you're vaccinated, it can still take up to 2 weeks for the immunization to be totally effective.

Darn it!

.

However, we have been extraordinarily blessed these past couple of days.
.
Blessing #1- Emma actually had a pediatrician's appointment on Friday afternoon for something else. So when we called on Saturday, there was no need to send us to the ER for a diagnosis. The Dr could pretty much guess which kind of cooties she had based on how healthy she'd been Friday & how sick she was just a few hours later. He said, "if the meds work, great, that's what it was. If not, we'll try something else. If we send her to the ER & she doesn't have the S-illness now, she'll probably get it there!"
.
Blessing #2- This has not been the devastating illness for Emma that I've long feared. MAJOR fevers, but so far, not too much respiratory stuff, THANK GOODNESS!!! I know that for some people this is a horrific illness, & that's what I've been so scared of for Emma. With her asthma, even a cold can be devastating. Maybe it's less severe because she was vaccinated recently? Whatever the case, BIG blessing so far. (Knock on wood!)

.
Blessing #3- Contrary to reports from the Dr about the Rx being $70-140, our insurance covered the Tamiflu & it was only $20. Oh yeah, medical insurance definitely goes on this list too.
.
Blessing #4- Andrew's day off was yesterday & he was able to take the boys & be gone all day long. They had lots of boy-time fun, & Emma was able to languish in peace with her 103.5 (on Tylenol & Motrin) fever.
.
Blessing #5- Modern Medicine! Can you believe that just a few decades ago, my child probably would've died from the fever of this illness alone? Now I can somewhat control it with something I can buy at any convenience store. I am so grateful to live in this time. And so far, the Tamiflu is working wonders, too.
.
Blessing #6- The boys & I were vaccinated a week & a half before Emma, & we've had no symptoms, so we MIGHT actually be OK. (Knock on wood again!)

.
Blessing # 7- My washing machine! I don't even want to consider cleaning the sheets by hand that Emma deposited the entire contents of her belly on. Yuck!
.
Blessing #8- The Home Teachers/Visiting Teachers that are going to bring us dinner tonight, so I can focus on ministering to all my little needy munchkins. Especially because Emma's temp has spiked again this afternoon.
.
Blessing #9- Did I mention how grateful I am that I can help my children in times like these? I have been thinking frequently of pioneer women that lost multiple children to illnesses that were much less severe than this one. My, my, we are a blessed generation.

A nice little list of things to be grateful for, and right before Thanksgiving, too! How appropriate. Well, I need to get back to my sick little one. She's calling me to put in a new video. We'll let you know how she's doing tomorrow. Bye!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, so we are in the same boat. Three out of five kids in my house so far are laid out. Yes, we got our shots also, but apparently a week too late. Maybe the innoculation will keep us from getting it on the next go around. Our foster baby was given the tamilflu, but she can not seem to keep from throwing it up. Oh, well. Good luck and maybe we will see you at church someday. Taber

Mindi said...

I love that you see how blessed you are! That is a blessing itself. I sure hope Emma can get feeling better soon! ...and that you all can stay healthy! As for the Tamiflu, I went to go fill my prescription and it was $85. The doctor had given me something for my strep and that too in case I didn't feel better after a couple days. I only picked up the other as it was $12...now I'm wishing I had gotten it.

Cheryl said...

So sorry she got it! Ben was on me about getting my kids the vaccine from the get go since the company he works for is the distributors of the vaccine. We just barely got ours almost 2 weeks ago now. Hopefully its kicked in. Otherwise standing in line for 3 hours with 3 kids in the snow... Hope she feels better soon. Glad to see your seeing the blessings in all of it.

Hilary said...

Oh no! Poor girl. I'm glad it's not as bad as it could be. I would like to know where you went that you could talk them into giving you the Swine Flu shot? My kids have gotten it, but I thought you could only get it if you're 24 or younger, so Greg and I haven't.

Rachel said...

Good post on blessings and being grateful. I constantly forgetting how good health truly is a blessing. I hope she feels 100% soon.

Unknown said...

You forgot to list the blessing of priesthood blessings and the effect that has on us!
Thanks for the update and please keep us in the loop...as you are all in our prayers

Kenningtons said...

Please do let us know how she is doing and I will be certain to include her and your family in our prayers!! We really do have so much to be grateful for living in the days we do. I CANNOT believe how bad this illness is for little kids. It makes me so sad...and scared! I hope sweet Emma starts feeling better and that the rest of you are in the clear!

Casey said...

We got our first dose of the shot, but we still have another dose and then a couple of weeks after that before it is totally effective. I am keeping my fingers crossed we stay healthy until then, it really is the last thing that I need.