Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Post About Nothing

After all of the stress & worry of the past few weeks, we learned this week that there is nothing we can do, no one to go see, and nothing to get too freaked out about- yet- I think.
.
The Story
We knew before we left the hospital with Jack that he was having trouble with his ears. He failed his hearing test twice, so the nursing staff made us an appointment to follow up in 2 weeks. No big deal, they said. It's probably just birthing gunk, and it'll clear up. OK, if you say so.
.
Fast forward 2 weeks to our follow-up hearing screening. Little man failed again, twice. After some not-so-gentle tugging on his ears & some expert repositioning of the equipment, the tech got him to pass the test with his left ear, but the right ear was as stubborn as could be & refused to pass. OK, they say that we should now worry, but just a little. What? Worry just a little? Obviously she was not a parent. We now need another test, this one more extensive. (And expensive! Thank heavens for insurance!)
.
Anyway, fast forward another 3 weeks to his big fancy hearing test done by the audiologist at the hospital. We had to keep him awake so that he'd sleep through the test. Yeah, right. Have you ever tried to get a 6 week old to sleep on command- with wires glued to his ears & scalp & electrodes jammed in his ears? You can imagine my ordeal. So, after over an hour of walking him around the hospital in the stroller, he finally went to sleep- after managing to dislodge most of the wires. He stayed asleep for exactly 13 minutes & woke up. AAAAHHHH! We only have 2 hours to get this done! OK- back to sleep after a few minutes of walking & patting the bum. At the end of our allotted time, the Dr stopped the test & told me what I was already starting to suspect. Jackeroo can't hear all that well. He has what's called mild conductive hearing loss. (I'm thinking, loss? How can it be a hearing loss if he never had it to begin with?)
.
On with the story. Basically, she suspects that he's got a problem with his middle ear that prevents him from hearing all that well. We need to see the Dr ASAP & get on top of this before he gets too old. She starts talking about hearing aids by 6 months, special schooling, the whole 9 yards. I manage to hold it together until I get to the car, drive down the road a ways, and pull over to call Andy. Can you say meltdown? I indulge in the agony for a few minutes before driving home & making an appointment with the pediatrician for the next morning. It was a VERY long night.
.
At the Dr's office the next morning, Andrew & I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, Andrew had been prompted during the baby's blessing to tell Jack that his hearing would be made whole. On the other hand, we've got people telling us all this crazy stuff about hearing aids & permanent loss. I had faith that the Lord would make good on his promise of healing my son, but I was nervous about when it would actually happen. Would this be something that we needed to deal with for a few years before he was OK?
.
And then the Dr walks in. I tell him what the audiologist has told me, and the results of the test. He looks in the ears. He looks again. And then he starts apologizing. Basically, he was sorry that the audiologist scared us half to death! The things she was talking about don't even apply to our situation. My son has mild conductive hearing loss because he's got fluid in his ears! Perfectly normal for a newborn, and he just hasn't gotten rid of his yet. If worse comes to worse, we'll get him tubes in his ears when he gets older & that should drain the fluid. (I think.) Since he's so small, there's nothing we can, or should, do at this point. No medicines to give, no operation to fix it. It seems a little strange that it's enough of a problem that we have to have him re-tested, and that it's an actual diagnosis that will be listed in his medical records forever, but it's not a big enough problem to prompt any real action now. My little boy just hears the world as if he's always underwater. Or has his fingers stuffed in his ears. Not a big deal to the Dr, but it just breaks my heart to think that he can't hear me whisper in his ear or sing to him from across the room. So I'll just have to be louder- like I'm so soft-spoken right now, right?
.
So now that we've had a chance to digest all of the info that we've received, we're a little more calm. Luckily we have a well-baby exam scheduled for next week & I can get the rest of my questions answered. But the basic gist of this story is nothing. Nothing to do but wait for my little one to grow, get bigger, and (hopefully) dry those ears up! A TON of worry, stress, and anticipation for nothing (we hope). Wow, that's a lot of post for nothing, huh?
.
On a side note, I learned at the Dr's that Jack is no longer a baby. He is, officially, a MOOSE! He already weighs 11 1/2 pounds! To put that in perspective for you- Emma weighed somewhere around 11 pounds at a YEAR old! Yes, she is super teeny for her age, but still! I knew that he was big, but had no idea he was that big. So he seems so huge to me, but he's still only in the 55th percentile for weight. Man, kids today must be ginormous.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I know what it is like to go through that as a parent. We went through it with Cambrie when she was 3 and wasn't talking at all except for MAYBE 3-4 bits of a word. We were told she most likely had hearing loss and would need hearing aids too. Turns out she just had a big speech delay. She 3 years of speech and now she doesn't need it any more. Horray! I hope all goes well with Jack too and his ears dry out for you. Oh, yes let's get together up here, my place maybe first weekend in Dec???

Ashlie said...

That story was so familiar. Braden still can't pass a hearing test in his right ear. Only in our case they kept down playing it an no one wanted to say he had a hearing loss. Which I thought was sort of silly because there are a lot worse things than to be deaf in one ear.

After the big electrode test we found out he has a mild hearing loss in his right ear. We're supposed to let his teachers know because surround sound might make it hard for him to focus in on the teacher's voice. Apparently, if that is the case, the school is required to put in surround sound speakers and mic up the teacher. I was worried he might have trouble with speech and was careful to work on his annunciation but he speaks fine so it hasn't been a problem.

They kept telling me everytime he failed a test, "It's probably just fluid." Finally after he failed his 5th test or so they admitted his ears were clear and he had some hearing loss.

Nice that the audiology people didn't note the fluid in his ears!

Unknown said...

So grateful that prayers have been answered and you have a diagnosis (sort of). I don't know why Dr.'s seem to have the need to scare us with big words and big worries...but hopefully things will work out the way they are supposed to.

Rachel said...

Oh Kris, I put it together when I heard Andy's blessing that you guys were having concerns for little Jack's hearing. I'm sorry you had to go through the whole mess with the testing. Have faith, it's stronger than tests or medicine.
I love that Jack is a Mooose, I had to chuckle at that. He may grow up to be the little brother that looks out for his Big sister and Big brother.

Casey said...

I had no idea about all that. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

It must be the third child thing because my Jett is much bigger than the other two.

Shannon Harris said...

I am in love with moose babies!! Too yummy!!! We had concerns with Reese's hearing for awhile also. They worried us more about it than necessary!!! I guess it's better than to not be concerned at all? I dunno. But I'm glad it's looking better for ya'll than you thought! Luve ya!

The Hermyzoo! said...

I had to check in and see how Jack is growing and how handsome he is. Man is he handsome, what a cute little guys(or I should say BIG). It's hard to imagine you have a 11 1/2 pounder with Emma so tiny. I love his CHEEKS!

~I am so sorry to hear about his whole hearing ordeal. That stuff is so scary. We had that happen with Halli and her being our first I thought I would never survive her not hearing me say I love you. Then it worked out that she was fine.

Glad to see that all is well! Take care Love Ton

Kenningtons said...

So scary (at first)!!! I'm so happy to know that it ended up being nothing!! I can't believe Emma was 11 lbs at one years. SO TINY!!! Jack sure is a cute little moose!!

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

Wow, stressful... sorry, I am glad things are going much better. I sure hope the fluid clears up soon. I can't imagine that would be so freaky.

SMiles,
Tam