Last night we learned of the passing of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, President Gordon B. Hinckley. We weren't really shocked, since he was almost 100 years old and has served for decades in the leadership of the church, but the sadness fills us just the same. I have to say, I was surprised that I wasn't more upset when we found out. Instead, I was instantly filled with an assurance that he is with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in a heavenly sphere that we can not even imagine. My testimony came to mind and comforted me in a way that I never even thought possible. I am so grateful that we as members of the Church have a true understanding of life after death, and of our Heavenly Father's eternal love for us. I think of President Hinckley, (or any of us) returning home to our Father, and the happiness at that moment, and it brings tears to my eyes. I can only hope and pray that I can live the gospel in such a way that I can be worthy of that most supreme of all blessings as well.
Something that comforts me even further is the knowledge that President Hinckley is finally together with his eternal companion Marjorie. Even though he has tried to be strong, anyone who has seen him in person or on television these past 3 1/2 years since she passed has been able to see the toll that her absence has taken on him. What a joyous reunion that must have been!
I love this picture. Don't they both look so serene and pure?

I am so thankful for my testimony of Jesus Christ our Savior. I know that he died for me, and for you, and that if we can live worthily every day, we can someday return to be with him and our Heavenly Father. I know that our Heavenly Father knows each of us personally and wants only happiness for us. Although we each have our own trials, the Lord gives them to us as a way to make us stronger and to encourage us to come to him in our times of greatest need. May we all recognize his hand in our lives and thank him for all of the amazing blessings that he has given us.
3 comments:
What a great thought. I was a little taken back when I heard the news I was sad that I wouldn't see that sweet face, yet so joyous to know he is with his eternal companion. Like you said what a great reunion.
Beautifully written...isn't a testimony a wonderful thing? It can give us such calm and reassurance.
I too KNEW that he was in the arms of his loving Marjorie and that his wait was over.
Love,
Mom
Thank you for the reminder of his great legacy. I do love the picture from the Days of 47 Parade. It shows so much of his character in the picture.
Post a Comment