Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My Good Deed for the Day

As my act of service for August 3, I didn't punch an old man in the mouth.
.
Yeah, you read right. Call me awful, mean, & just plain witchy, but I think you might feel the same way too if you were me.
.
If you were sitting in a nice restaurant eating a nice meal, with 3 kids making almost no noise & stuffing their faces as fast as they could. (This is not usually the case, so I appreciate it when it does happen.)
.
If you had a waitress bring an elderly couple to sit at the table next to you & the man says (loud enough for the whole restaurant to hear) "I don't want to sit anywhere near all those kids- I want to sit over there."
.
If the waitress burst out laughing & led them to a table across the restaurant, with the other diners suddenly looking at you like your family has leprousy.
.
I really do think that it was an act of charity for me not to go tell him just how I felt.
.
Sigh.....be Christlike, Kris.
Maybe he has terrible grandkids & can't stand to be around anyone under 4 feet tall.
.
Why did this have to happen when they were actually behaving themselves? And why did they have to hear it? Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if they were being stinkers & it could be used as a learning experience.
.
Sigh.....this Mama Bear is going to bed now. Maybe tomorrow I'll take them for ice cream to show them that not all adults are mean.

12 comments:

kellie said...

I have had someone say that as I sat at a resterant with a friend and our two well behaved kids.
I just had to laugh, oh well.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Good girl!

Rena said...

The nerve of some people - too bad he wasn't on a plane headed to Europe sitting in front of screaming twins!

Nicole said...

Jerk! That man has no idea how lovely your children are.

Hilary said...

Way to go Kris! That totally counts as service sometimes. How are your birthday service days going anyway? That is such a good idea.

Unknown said...

Way to keep your head up and show that old fart!
I don't know where people get off saying things like that...I always remember being in Yuma on our way home from San Diego with all of you kids + Jason B. and having someone come by our table and compliment us on how well behaved you all were. It sure made me proud of you all.
I try to do that too as often as I can honestly do it.
Hang in there!!

Dana said...

You should have spoken to the manager! They wouldn't be able to do anything about the old man, but the laughing waitress might have gotten in trouble. That would have made me feel better :)!!

Mindi said...

Oh, some people. I swear. I'm teaching lessons at a community pool right now and there is this old lady who got right up in my face about being there. Seems she thought community pool meant a pool for just her and no kids. She actually yelled at the lady I was with about her kid being in a diaper. The lady let her know it was a swim diaper and not against any rule. Ha! She told us that the pool was in disrepair because all of us being there with our kids. Little did she know that we are the first ones there every day to pick out the dead animals, food thrown in, chairs thrown in and sweep up the glass from broken bottles from the adults and teenagers that use the pool at night. I'm glad you didn't punch the man. What a good example of self control Kris!!

Casey and Brittny said...

I would have been tempted to say something like, "See, kids, this man is just the sort of person I hope you don't grow up to be - rude and inconsiderate. Thank you, sir, for providing a teaching moment for me and my well-behaved children."

Unfortunately, you probably would have had to shout it because he was likely hard of hearing and also obviously having difficulty seeing (he couldn't see that your children were behaving themselves, after all).

...Then there's the part of me that wants to give him the benefit of the doubt and make up a story about him to make myself feel better: he probably had some sort of infectious, albeit silent, illness that he didn't want to pass on to "all those kids" (seriously, 3 kids is "all those kids?" Is he seeing double?). Thoughtful, that guy.

I must be bipolar.

Casey said...

I HATE people like that. You are a much better person than I.

Kenningtons said...

How sad! It's as if old people, men in particular, forget what it's like to have/raise young kids. Maybe because in his generation men merely had to exist and the women did all the work. His loss really...your kids are adorable and he had a chance at the best seat/view in the house!

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

Some people can be so rude!!!! You should definately treat your kiddos to a yummy treat for being so good out to eat... that is quite of an accomplishment. :).