Monday, August 11, 2008

IT'S HERE!!!!!!

I have a confession, I'm a total Olympics geek. I can remember back as far as the 1988 Olympics, and being so angry because my other family members wouldn't let me watch women's gymnastics. I guess it's easy to be overruled when you're the only 1 out of 6 kids in the house that wants to watch little girls fly through the air with the greatest of ease. And during the Barcelona games, I refused to go to the car races (a huge thing for us at the time) because I didn't want to miss the women's event finals in gymnastics.
.
But now I'm the ruler of my own remote, and I can watch as long as I want! I have to admit, I haven't turned off the Olympic coverage since the competition began on Saturday morning. I guess the opening ceremony was cool, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just a big waste of time & money, because all I want to watch is sports! I spend hours & hours surfing back & forth between the NBC channels, and have even been known to make lists of what's on which channel so that I don't miss anything. Like I said, a total geek.
.
I remember during the Athens Olympics, I swear my husband wanted to leave me. He got so frustrated that the only channel I would ever watch was the Olympics. He is interested, but not completely rabid like I am. So in the evening when he would go in the other room to watch normal TV, he wouldn't see me until the next morning when I again would be watching Olympic coverage!
.
I can't eat, I can't leave the house, and I definitely can't sleep. I might miss something! But I think I might be converting Andrew. Last night he actually called me & asked me to record the swimming portion of the program. He thinks Michael Phelps is a stud. I don't care who the athlete is- as long as they're from the good 'ol USA, I'll sit on my couch & cheer loud enough for them to hear me all the way over in Beijing!
.
Only 2 more weeks and then I'll have to wait 2 whole years to experience this again.
I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!




8 comments:

Ashlie said...

I get pretty hooked too. Although I must say probably not to the point of losing sleep. That is simply to vital to my ability to move the following day. I do pick certain events though that I follow pretty closely. I've got one suggestion for you. It's almost a miracle really, DVR. ;)

Amy Allred said...

Scott's the same way. He LOVES them and is starting to get me into it a little. Wasn't the opening amazing?

Anonymous said...

Dad said that he was talking to Duane and he said, "Does your wife just sit and watch those Olympic things all day?" Dad said, "Yeah and I don't get it."
So apparently it is an epidemic this year.
I'm enjoying the whole experience too.
Love you,
Mom

Kenningtons said...

GO TEAM USA!!! Although I will say I do not like to watch the balance beam acts. Frightening!!

Amy Allred said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRIS ANN!!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

Rachel said...

I've been late everyday this week because they keep showing women's volleyball at 6 am and I can't pull myself away to get ready for school. I agree, hearing about all the hard work and training and then seeing these kids pull off world records and come together as team mates is awesome!

Jason and Amanda said...

Kris--
A bit late but--HAPPY HAPPY 29th BIRTHDAY! We love you and hope ya had a great day!
Amanda and fam
ps--
Jason is a huge olympics fan too...and Reagan and I love the Gymnastics! Someday...an olympics party!?

Cara said...

I hope your Olympics experience has been everything you dreamed of!