Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Insulted by a 4 Year Old

My 4 year old is starting to give me a total self-confidence complex! Lately there have been about 10 instances in which she made totally innocent comments that just blew me away. For instance:

Emma, Frank, & I like to make a choo-choo train as we cross roads or parking lots. The kids like to take turns being the engine & caboose. I have had the privilege of being named the car-carrier, big box car, and other railroad mainstays.

But, on the way into school on Tuesday:

Emma- Mom, I'm the engine, Frank is the caboose, and you're the tanker car.
Mom- Why am I a tanker, Emma?
Emma- Because you're tanking up, Mom!
Mom- What does that mean? (I am so afraid of this answer!)
Emma- You're getting all tanked up & round & full, so you need to be a tanker car!
Mom- BIG SIGH

Last Saturday:

Emma- Mom, you're getting so chubby!
Dad- (taking Emma aside & chastising her) Emma, it is NOT nice to ever call anyone chubby!
Emma- (whispering to Dad, but loud enough for everyone else to hear) But Dad, she is super chubby these days!

Last Week:

Emma- Mom, you shouldn't wear that shirt. It makes you look too chubby!
Mom- Emma, I'm not chubby, I'm pregnant. It's just the baby that makes my belly round.
Emma- Whatever, Mom. You sure look chubby to me!

OK, I know I'm getting big, but I DO NOT need my 4 year old reminding me of it all the time!

Today:

Mom- Emma, it's OK that Daddy's not here. We'll have lots of fun & he'll be home before you know it!
Emma- I don't know, Mom. I miss him so much already! (Dad wasn't even out of the driveway yet!)
Mom- We'll be OK, honey.
Emma- I guess we could have fun at home, even if it's just you here & not Dad.

What did I ever do to deserve this? Oh, yeah, I was just like her when I was her age!

6 comments:

Kenningtons said...

SO FUNNY!!!! I bet she is just the cutest thing when she says stuff like that. Thanks for sharing that!! I'm still laughing about the shirt comment! HA!!

Ashlie said...

What a character. And I'm sure she says it all with those big puppy dog eyes so it seems innocent enough. ;)

Andi said...

I'm sure your not that chubby! Especially since you weren't showing for so long...

But, nothing like a little girl to tell it to you straight. ;)

Unknown said...

From the mouths of babes! And Emma is SUCH a babe.
I for one am grateful that your body is getting chubby and making plenty of room for baby Jack!
Just keep your chin up and know that someday Emma will probably receive her payback...just like you are!

Cheryl said...

I'm sure your the cutest "chubby" prego woman out there! Got to love it.

Rachel said...

You should come to family movie night tomorrow night at Sycamore. They are playing Nim's Island. Its fun for the kids, because they get to sit on blankets, eat popcorn and run around outside together. And nice for the adults, because we are all on camp chairs being exhausted just watching all the kids run around.
Hope you survive the critic in the house :)