Thursday, July 19, 2012

Goodbye Connie!

(Our last visit to our girls before they moved.)
(Connie is the elephant on the right.)

Yes, I know that you'll probably think that I'm silly, but I cried today when I found out that elephant Connie had died at her new home, the San Diego Elephant Odyssey.  We've missed her since she & her companion Shaba left us in February.  Our family has been Reid Park Zoo members for years, & each of my children has come to know & love the animals there.  They especially loved Connie, who swayed to a rhythm that only she could hear.

Apparently she's been sick these past couple of weeks, & the decision was made this morning to put her to sleep to alleviate her pain.

There's more information here on their blog: Elephant ICU Loses A Member.

We will miss our old friend.

3 comments:

Kenningtons said...

That's so sad! I was heart broken when I found out the two zebras died at hogle. Then I was totally crushed when I learned the baby giraffe died due to failure to thrive! All of this within a few short days of each other. So so sad!! I would totally love to go to Reid park with you if you're up for it. I haven't been there since I was a tot.

Mom said...

:(
You have always been an animal softie....good quality to have.

Mindi said...

That is so sad. I loved Connie too. I had not heard.