Monday, October 24, 2011

DAY 4- Niagara!!!

This place makes pictures from even my little point-and-shoot look good!
This one with the foliage might be my Christmas card! I LOVE the colors of fall!

I have to admit, we almost scratched this excursion from the schedule more than once. But how can you be only an hour away & not go see one of the most amazing sights in the world? Niagara State Park is the oldest state park in the nation, by the way. Gotta get that educational stuff in so that we can justify missing a whole week of school for this trip!According to the weather people, it was supposed to be 50-something degrees with 30 mph winds & a 70% chance of rain. Nope! Yes, it was definitely nippy, but most of us were shedding layers of clothing after hiking all over the park. And rain? What rain? Fabulous!

So even though we knew there was the potential for great misery, we braved the forecast & took the plunge on the Maid of the Mist. This was Frank's #1 for the trip. (Although if you ask him he'll also say that #1 was the Sacred Grove because "it's more important." What an angel!)We may have been courageous enough to do the boat, but you couldn't convince me to let my kiddos go down to the Cave of the Winds. Those folks are wearing sandals with no socks! Brrrrr!Chasing seagullsLove this girl!

I was so excited to see the pictures I'd taken on this wonderful day. So imagine my shock & horror when I turned on my camera in the car to find this: Bless the soul that invented Internet phones! We were able to locate a Best Buy right off the freeway in Erie, PA on our drive west, so we didn't miss documenting a second of our trip. (Insert sigh of relief here.)


On tap for tomorrow: The place where it all began!

6 comments:

Kenningtons said...

Oh NO! How did that happen to your camera?! I'm so happy you were able to get a replacement camera because I am LOVING all the documentation and pictures of your trip. Frank really is an angel with his comment about the Sacred Grove. Sweet boy! I cracked up a little bit looking at the pics of James in the rain gear. He looks so freaked out and confused. So CUTE!

Adam and Samantha said...

Your trip is awesome...so far I've been to all the same places you guys have been...I really want to take Samantha to Palmyra though...she's never been there...the sacred grove seems like an excellent place to take the family_A

Anonymous said...

After seeing you two days in a row, I thought I better check out your travel blog :) I LOVE the fall colors- glad you had a great time! Sounds like there were many great family memories that were made.

Nicole said...

Hahahaha the camera! Sad day! Can I use that shot of niagara falls as my background? It's so nice!

Casey said...

So want to go there too! I really get more jealous every time I read your blog. :)

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

Erie PA been there before. That was my last area. It was so cold and a lot of snow. I was ready to be back in Az.