Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Canning at Home (or, What Was I Thinking?)

I'm on fire.
.
Literally.
.
I think there are flames shooting from my hands.
Or is that my imagination?
.
I'm not sure, but this I do know. I've been making salsa this morning with peppers & chiles from our garden. Sounds simple & reasonable, right? Preserving our bounty, yadda, yadda, yadda. I thought it was a good idea....at the time.
.
A few things that I didn't consider:
.
1. How long it would take to chop all those little jalapenos & chiles into tiny enough pieces that I might actually be able to eat some of this salsa. Seriously, 2 hours for this humungo batch.
.
2. I have a bum shoulder. I seriously strained something on Saturday helping to assemble our mondo bunk beds. The Dr wants me to use it as much as possible, but that hurts! Do you know how hard it is to chop without moving your shoulder? Trust me, I did try it left-handed, but my big 'ol chef's knife almost detached a few of my fingers, so I had to power through with the right. I need some pain pills!
.
3. WEARING GLOVES!!! Didn't I just burn all the skin off my hands bottling green chiles a few weeks back? Why did I not learn my lesson?
.
4. Once you get it all in the pot, you probably should TASTE it. Wait, what? My hands are literally soaking in ice water to stop the burning & you think I should taste this stuff before I ladle it into jars & bottle it? Andy is the "seasoner" at our house. The only thing I can season with is salt. Great.
.
5. You might have to taste it more than once. So I attempted to season my salsa, but after the first go-round I quit. 'Cuz you know what? It's really hard to taste how much garlic there is when your tongue is shooting flames out of your mouth.
.
What was I thinking?
.
Oh, good heavens! I just stuck a finger in my mouth.
Feel the burn, baby!

9 comments:

Shawna said...

I just made some salsa a month ago and it really is worth all the effort that goes into it. It's delicious. What recipe did you use? I was getting ready to put a post on my projects site so check there soon if you want to see my recipe too.

Homemade salsa rocks! I bet your is even better though. My ingredients were from the store...not my garden

Mindi said...

I was thinking the other day after hearing a friend had canned salsa that I should try it. I make fresh salsa all the time. I wonder what the difference is and how to do it. After reading this post, I think I will not think about this again! I hope your hands stop burning and your shoulder recovers quickly!

Casey said...

Sounds delicious, but like way to much work for sure!!

Dana said...

Don't rub your eyes!!!!!!!

I wish you would have let me know, I have been wanting to do salsa and could have used a tutorial. Maybe next time. Can't wait to taste it.

Jason and Amanda said...

Ya gotta get some gloves...it solves all--okay most of your problems! You'll have to give me your salsa recipe--the one time I tried to bottle it, it tasted more like spagetti sauce than salsa!

Rachel said...

Do you ever just take a day off? You are amazing.

Hope the shoulder is feeling better.

Kenningtons said...

Looks so yummy!!! Good for you for preparing and bottling all that goodness!

Luke & Erica said...

I think you need to give me a lesson on canning! Just wanted to get the word out, I am starting a Hair Bow of the Month Club, if you are interested, check out my blog, lilcutiehairbows.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! You're so ambitious. I've really got to try canning and bottling sometime. You've inspired me!