Monday, September 14, 2009

My Last Free Moment...

....for a while, it seems.
.
As I was putting together my schedule for this week, I remember thinking to myself that there was NO WAY I could fit even 1 more thing onto that calendar. In fact, I've been thinking that I might need to cut back on some stuff in order to focus on the stuff that really matters. Boy, I had no idea...
.
It all started on Saturday when we got the ever-dreaded call from the Executive Secretary from our ward. I knew immediately that there was trouble brewing. Sunday morning came much too quickly, & I was called, get this, to the YOUNG WOMEN'S PRESIDENCY. 2nd Counselor, to be specific.
.
And so went my thoughts:
I think I might cry.
I CAN'T DO THIS!!!
I'm pretty much a single mom, remember?
I have so little left to give, & now I'm supposed to help mold young girls into young women? AAAAHHH!!!!
Did I mention that I can't do this?
.
But then I went to Young Women's & the girls were actually excited to have me! I felt a smidgen better. And I had a mother tell me that she was thrilled for me to be teaching her child. OK, a little better.
.
And then I was set apart by the bishop. And wouldn't you know that the first 5 words of the blessing were:
Kris, YOU CAN DO THIS.
.
Once again, I am humbled by the love & concern that my Heavenly Father has for me. He knows me. He knows my fears, my weaknesses, & my hesitations. So I'm going to believe him- that I can do this. Pray for me. The thought of girly drama, the gossiping, & (heaven help me) girls camp, leaves me a little weak in the knees.
.
I'm just going to keep chanting: I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.....

10 comments:

Mindi said...

I've been checking your blog since you left that message on mine!! What a great blessing it is to be able to be set apart in our callings. It gave me chills to hear the first words from the bishop. Yes, Heavenly Father knows us! What a testimony builder. You will will do great Kris. I'm sure the girls will love you and in return, you will love them!

Hilary said...

You can do it! You're awesome and the girls will love you. That's really cool that the bishop was so inspired. I bet that gave you a lot of comfort. I'm here for you if you need any help with your kids. Good luck!

Cheryl said...

I can totally see you in YW! You have an awesome personality that I bet they really bond too!

Unknown said...

Oh sweet Kris...you are still learning that our Heavenly Father knows what we need and how best to help us GET what we need.
So...what is it that you NEED and serving in the YW will help you learn?
I know that you'll do great and that the good folk of your ward will be there to help with your kids when Andy can't.
Good luck!

Casey said...

You can do it! I am a bit nervous about the changes for me as well all I can think is I will be blessed.

Dana said...

Yes it is quite scary...but before you know it you'll be in love with each and every one of your girls. You'll celebrate their successes and cry over their mistakes. Been there. You'll do such a good job. If you need any help or advice or cute handouts just call me. I wish I could be closer to help with the kids.

Shawna said...

You totally can do it! I can understand the fears though. I often feel like I'm at my max too. It's funny how things always work out though. I thought I was going to cry when I was called to my current calling too. There are days when I want to scream into a pillow and not have anything around me whine or cry and then I have to be in charge of the nursery. All 4 classes? What? I love it though and I've learned things I never thought I would. I really feel like it has helped me with my own kids too.

You'll do great!

Rachel said...

What an amazing group of women you have with you in YW. Kris, you will love this and somehow you will fit it all in. And your kids, specially Emma will be surrounded by girls who will love her and she will love and admire them right back. I'm so excited for you. You really can do it!

Jason and Amanda said...

YW is the best! You'll love it...and the girls will love you! I love my YW calling and hope to never get released--I bet it won't take long and you'll feel the same way too!
ps--I honestly think the MiaMaids are the easiest age group...at least here they are so hopefully they will be in Vail too!

Shannon Harris said...

Kris-- you are going to be amazing in the YW's! I felt the exact same feelings when I was called as 1st counselor the 2nd week I was in my ward in GA. And think of all those babysitters!!!