Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You know you're a real mom when...

Just some thoughts....
I had a time in my life when I didn't feel like a "real mom." I felt like I was just playacting or something, and this really bothered me. Let's just say that I didn't know how good I really had it.
These are obviously based on my experience, but I'm sure we all have a few.


You know you're a real mom when you think of your stretch marks as badges of courage.

You know you're a real mom when you choose your friends based on whose kids get along with your kids.

You know you're a real mom when "going out" always entails a trip to the grocery store, drugstore, etc.

You know you're a real mom when all of your kids' clothes are new, but somehow you're still wearing the same clothes that you did when you got married 7 years ago.

You know you're a real mom when you can talk on the phone, change a diaper, start a DVD and cook dinner all at the same time.

You know you're a real mom when you know what it's like to spend 25 minutes rolling off the bed and crawling across the floor so that you don't wake your sleeping baby/toddler.

You know you're a real mom when sex is scheduled around your kids' naps and/or bedtimes.

You know you're a real mom when you have no problem eating cold macaroni and cheese for lunch because it's just too much work to make your own meal.

You know you're a real mom when your laundry never makes it to your drawer. It only makes it to a clean pile on the bed (or in a hamper, chair, etc.) before it gets worn again.

You know you're a real mom when you can spend 3 hours in a mall and never enter the grown-up section of any store you go into.

You know you're a real mom when you never call your husband by his real name. He is only known as DADDY.

You know you're a real mom when you realize at 8:00 pm that you FORGOT to eat today.

You know you're a real mom when having vomit, poo, snot, etc. smeared on you is a daily occurence. You know you're a SUPER mom when this no longer bothers you.

You know you're a real mom when you can't remember the last time you went to the bathroom without spectators. (This is my personal favorite.)

2 comments:

Mom said...

It is so great to have my daughter finally learn what "motherhood" is all about.
Keep your head up and a smile on your face and please...take good care of my grandbabies!
Mom

Rachel said...

Kris, I am so excited about your blog! I also started one this summer and love sharing tid bits about life and complaining about the mundane. It's a nice outlet and keeps me sane most days just to type out my feelings so my friends and family can affirm my protests.
Welcome to the blog world!
I love the mom poem, too true!