Friday, November 18, 2011

More Trip Stuff- Day ?

I have been SO sad lately. For lots of reasons. One of them (a small one) is that Blogger seems to have gone ka-put on me. I can't upload pictures at all, so I can't post, right?
Somehow my menial life doesn't seem interesting or even bearable without pictures of my adorable kiddos to go along with my musings. But lo! Today my blog seems to want to lift my gray mood by providing you all with photographic documentation of the last part of our trip. Joyous day!

I really don't have any idea where we left off in the narrative of our adventure, but these are the next pictures I'm finding so this is where we'll pick it up.

In addition to the best basement ever, the Dixons also own a pretty sweet "pond" that they have surrounded with cabins for their family, complete with a giant slide & cool boat to cruise around on.One of those cabins is on my Christmas list. Do you think Santa will give me one? Anyways....yet another pic of the fall beauty (or 2). I can't help myself, I really can't. The kids thought that this place was every bit as enchanting as Hershey's ChocolateWorld. Arizona kids find it VERY entertaining to simply stand in one spot & throw rocks in the water. Who knew? By the way, they're also very enchanted with grass. Sigh, if only Mommy didn't want to cry at the thought of the winters there....
This was on Tuesday! I remember now because these next pics are from Wednesday, the only day that we actually got rained on consistently. I guess a whole week of avoiding the stormy skies was too much to ask for. But we made the best of it by visiting a bunch of Amish shops, the most AMAZING Amish grocery store (Mommy wanted to move into the deli section) and collecting some souvenirs for the folks back home. A nice relaxing way to finish out the vay-cay. And someday we'll get to order that Amish dining set that we've been dreaming of since we got engaged there 11 years ago. Someday!

Thursday was the day I'd been dreading. It was to be the plane ride home. With 4 exhausted kids & 2 almost comotose parents. Deep breath, we can do this!

On our way out of New Philadelphia we drove by the church & found these exquisite trees. Photo op!Since our plane didn't leave from Pittsburg until 7:30 pm we mosied around the city & visited the original Primanti Brothers. Holy pastrami! Andy thinks we need to fly back just for another sandwich.Frank liked all of the yellow bridges over the river & Mommy & Daddy liked the giant tunnel that goes through a mountain...& then explodes into downtown. One of our most unforgettable moments on this trip was coming out of that tunnel into the night skyline of Pittsburgh. Totally shocking & completely amazing. (You probably had to be there, I guess!)One thing I would definitely change if we did this again is to remember that when your flight info says that you'll get home at 10:45 at night, that's REALLY 1:45 am Ohio time. And I would also remember that my kids won't sleep unless they're in their own environment.

So no sleeping quietly on the plane or curling up on the seats in the Denver airport. Instead, envision a SCREAMING baby & 3 annoyed & exhausted kids who are each wanting to snuggle on Mommy or Daddy's lap. Envision a flight crew who FORGOT to issue us tickets or to ANNOUNCE our flight & then shoved us onto an elevator to find our plane out on the tarmac preparing to take off. Envision 10 other people chasing us because they also were about to miss their plane. Envision a flight attendant that is REALLY annoyed that the flight crew seated each of my 5 family members on a different row. Envision a poor Emma that had to share a row with a teenager that looked like he thought our family would eat him alive. Classic travel horror story- classic!But we made it. With the help of strangers & best friends who rescued us from the airport at 11 pm, we made it. It literally took us 4 days of sleeping in and taking naps to recover, but we can look back & know that we had the trip of a lifetime & that if we wanted to do it again, we could survive it. 1 bad day out of 8? Start searching for tickets, Daddy!

6 comments:

Mom said...

So glad that you can look back and see all the good things that happened on your trip and forget about the bad...thanks for sharing and I LOVE the fall pics too.

Ashlie said...

Okay, your trip looks fantastic but no more pictures of pretty trees, lakes, and beautiful scenery or I'm going to pack up my bags and leave tomorrow. ;)

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

Hey Chris I have been through the tunnel and I know what you mean. When I first went through it I was like WOW that was awesome. The first time I went through it was during the day. I like the night view better. We would try to hold our breaths going through the tunnel and it was hard. I too loved all the bridges in PA. Another great view is up on Mt. Washington.
David

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

Sorry Kris I spelled your name wrong.

Kenningtons said...

I'm so happy for this post and equally uncomfortable about your return trip. I feel your pain!!! I'm so happy about this post--oh wait, I already said that--because I have been loving going on this trip with you and your family through your blog. I was hoping Day 6 wasn't the end. Now I'm ready for you guys to go on another trip! That's right Andy, start searching for tickets!

Nicole said...

Love those cute sleeping kiddos!