Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Little Preview of Halloween

Since we thought that I was going to be having a baby sometime in October, Andrew & I started thinking about Halloween costumes all the way back in August. I really feel strongly about making costumes because I can remember all of the great home-sewn costumes that I had as a kid. (My absolute favorite was the Indian princess. I wore it more than once, and I think I might make Emma one next year!) I want my kids to have that same sense that their mom cares enough to do it herself. Besides, have you looked at the costumes in the store? Most of them look like they would fall to pieces if the kid even sneezed the wrong way! I love making costumes for my kids. Here are a few pics of Halloweens past.
But this year the homemade costumes were just not meant to be.
Anyway, because I was a little preoccupied with baby stuff, Andrew sort of got to be in charge of costumes by default this year. This is what he came up with. (Don't get me started on the "hunters are supposed to shoot the deer" issue! We'll just accept that they're cute & leave it at that.) I think that Daddy did a fantastic job.

Our ward had their Halloween party last Friday, and the kids LOVED their costumes. Emma may profess to being a princess girl, but she also is surprisingly excited about shooting elk, deer, and anything else that could be stuffed & mounted on a wall. Strange for a kid that loves animals so much, huh? Frank is all boy & uses everything from keys to sticks to pretend to shoot stuff. So much for my no guns or other deadly weapons as toys rule!
.
The thing that really surprised me is that with their hats on, Emma & Frank pretty much looked like twins! I had no idea how much my kids look like each other. I kept calling them by the wrong names all night.
Frank was thrilled when people started giving him candy for free!
Now we're just waiting for the REAL Halloween so that we can load up on all of the candy we can eat. And by we I really mean Mommy & Daddy. I love Halloween!

7 comments:

Casey said...

You know I would love to come up with costumes to make. My first issue is I am not creative and second issue I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SEW. I am lucky to get a button to stay on. HA HA!!

Casey said...

Yes you may add us to your link. That is funny Emma asked to see us.

Dana said...

Too cute! Carson's costume came today and he has not take it off all day. He is so excited for Halloween! Can't wait to see you and meet Jack.
Dana

Unknown said...

Funny...as I remember it the Indian princess costume was a last minute kinda thrown together thing (a "two-potato" with beads sewn on) but I'm glad that it has happy memories for you.
Your kids are adorable and will actually probably get some use out of the overalls later this winter.
Love ya!

Mindi said...

They are all such cute costumes and of course, such cute kids! Good job this year Andrew.

Darin and Kerri Elam said...

Love the costumes of "Halloweens past!" So cute!

Jason and Amanda said...

Love the little hunters! And a deer--maybe a baby Bambi instead of baby Jack huh?! Cute!