Monday, December 24, 2007


Well, well, what to write? We're all just hanging out here on Christmas Eve waiting for it to be late enough to put out the kids' Santa presents, and I thought I'd blog a little. It's been such a CRAZY couple of weeks, and I'm thrilled that the holiday is finally here. My kids have been desperate to open presents, and we even called Santa (aka Daddy) on the telephone today. Andy did such a great job of playing not only one of Santa's elves, but the big guy himself. I tell you, it was priceless, and I wish I would've videotaped it!


Eric and Debby came to our house for Christmas, and it feels great to have them here. Andy and I cooked a big dinner tonight, and we'll have green chili and tamales tomorrow. Brian Paul, Jeremiah and Sharissa are coming to dinner tomorrow, and I'm sure we'll see Butch's family sometime during the day, too. We are so blessed to have so much family so near us. Hopefully we'll get to go see the Safford family later this week, though it'll be tough because I have to put on the young women's volleyball tournament on Thursday and Saturday. We'll make it work somehow.


We've been to the ZooLights and also Winterhaven this week. It's been great to have the kids old enough to really know what the holiday is all about. I subbed for Emma's Sunbeam class yesterday, and had a great time teaching her about the real Christmas story.

Just one final thought.

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the station was playing greetings from our troops overseas to their families at home. One woman said how she was so sad that she was in Baghdad and she would be missing Christmas at home with her 4 year old daughter. It just really hit me at that moment that our troops sacrifice SO MUCH to defend our country. I can not even imagine missing this Christmas with Emma. She's just starting to really understand about Jesus (and Santa). She takes everything so literally, and it is amazing to see her soak in all of the special traditions of the season. I would be crushed to miss it. So, next time I see a soldier or airman, I'm going to thank them for doing what they do. Without them, we wouldn't have the opportunity to sit in our warm houses and celebrate the birth of Jesus in freedom. Thank you, troops!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Merry Christmas Merriman Family!

The Hermyzoo! said...

I am going to send you over an email, it's a song that Casey wrote regarding Christmas and families with soldiers serving. It's written as a poem right now! Ton

I was just noticing my last email didn't go through. Please give a huge hug and kiss to Jeremiah, Sharissa, and Brian Paul. I love an miss those guys so much. I have called so many times with no return phone call. I would love to see them. I will try calling!

Dave, Tamara and Addysen Mowers said...

HI KRIS,

I AM GLAD TO SEE YOU HAD SUCH A WONDRFUL CHRISTMAS. IT IS GREAT TO SEE THAT MOM AND DAD, BRIAN PAUL, MIAH, RISSA AND ROBYN AND HAYLEE WERE ABLE TO JOIN YOU. WHAT FUN. I MISS THEM ALL SO MUCH. DO YOU HAPPEN TO TAKE A PHOTO OF THEM ALL? IF SO I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT.

YOUR PHOTO OUTSIDE? IS VERY CUTE.

LOVE,
TAMARA, DAVE AND ADDYSEN

Jennifer Bundy said...

Hi Kris (and family),
Just was looking at Myfamily.com and saw you had a blog and came to look at it. You look like you have a lovely family and are enjoying the wonderful experiences that all brings!
Jennifer Bundy