Emma has become quite interested in weather. And since it's monsoon season around here, she likes to predict what colors our various storms will show up as on the weather maps. Her favorite to try to predict is definitely the purple storm. Even though she doesn't like the severe weather itself, she feels a sense of accomplishment after living through a storm that goes past the measly greens & yellows & reaches purple status.
So, it was interesting to watch the monsoon clouds explode over our neighborhood as we drove home from town this afternoon & tried to guess what color it would be on the radar. It was interesting, then thrilling, then concerning, and finally frightening.
As we drove down the road toward our home, we drove right into the heart of a massive storm that dumped incredible amounts of rain in a very short amount of time. Typical monsoon, I know. But this time we weren't home to see it, & I'm glad we weren't.
Because this is what we found when we drove up the driveway:
the coop used to stand right over that water dish on the ground
And this is what our little survivors were doing:
And this is the view from the corner of our property:
this is the wash that's usually on the OTHER side of those trees, about 75 feet away
And this is what our neighbor's property looked like. Almost his whole 3 acres was under water.
Don't even ask how we got home- we definitely became violators of the "Stupid Motorist Law" as our big 'ol Suburban came dangerously close to getting swept down a wash.
But only that one wash was scary.
All of the other 9 we crossed were a piece of cake. (NOT.)
I'm thinking that our chicken coop & the neighbor's fence were the victims of a microburst. Because that coop didn't get blown over. No, it was picked straight up & slammed down on the roof not more than 3 feet from where it originally stood. Good thing Andy spent 2 weeks building, reinforcing, & structuralizing that thing. (Is structuralizing a word?)
I would dearly love to know what our poor chickens are thinking tonight. What did they go through? Because 2 of them were inside the upside-down coop & the other 3 got a taste of freedom that they obviously chose not to indulge. Poor things.
Welcome to an AZ monsoon, girls.
10 comments:
That storm was incredible! We were home while it happened... I'm glad you made it home safely!! Looks like you got hit a bit harder than us. Your chickens are fighters.... I would have passed out if my house got turned upside-down.
Yikes! Your beautiful chicken coop! It looks like it was very well made though. Hopefully it doesn't have too much damage. I'm with Emma. I get a big thrill about those more extreme colors on the map. As long as we're in a safe place to experience it!
Rain is lovely, isn't? Wow! If you ever need help rearranging your property now you know what to pray for. :)
I'm glad you didn't have to go "boating" with your babies.
That is crazy Kris!!
Wow, scarey! Glad you made it home. That missed us apparently!
Crazy! I'm glad everyone is safe. That must've been the storm that had an incredibly lightning storm our way, but very little rain. I kept waiting and waiting for the downpour... well, now I know where it went- your house!
Looks like it's time to stake down the chicken house...this weather has been so crazy this year! Glad everyone (including the chicks) are safe and sound!
Believe it or not, I miss those darn monsoons!!!! Maybe I just miss freakin Az!
WOW! I would love to know what those chickens were thinking when their house got thrown! That is so crazy!
Oh man!!! That must have been some crazy storm!! When we were at EAC I thought I was going to die during the middle of a microburst. I saw the storm coming so I ran outside to roll up my car windows. When I was inside the car the microburst hit and the winds were so strong I couldn't push the car door open to get back out. My car started to sway, trees were being uprooted, shingles were being launched from rooftops, the ENORMOUS oooooooold tree outside our neighbor's home started to creak and groan and I just knew it was going to come crashing down on me trapped inside the bug. My dad had run out at the same time but he made it back in before the storm hit because his car was in the driveway where mine was parked on the street. It was all very scary!!!! Afterward I drove around the neighborhood assessing the damage and there was some pretty crazy wreckage all strewn about. Good times!!
Post a Comment